Thread Rating:
  • 14 Votes - 4.36 Average
PPSSPP options explained
06-27-2013, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 12:37 AM by Furby.)
RE: PPSSPP options explained
(I made a topic about this earlier, but I think I may get a better response here)

Why is it, when I'm on my mobile devices, I'm able to get a higher VPS with speed set to "Unlimited" than on any other setting?

On my two mobile devices, none of them can, normally, run any game above 20-40 VPS normally, no matter the game (Generalizing, but it works for the visual). However, with the speed set to unlimited, I'm able to achieve a VPS of at least 80 in most cases.

I was under the impression that the settings didn't change anything but the max possible VPS, with Standard being at 60, Fixed being at what you define it in settings, and unlimited being, well, unlimited. But that's clearly wrong. I don't notice any real visual or audio artifacts (Besides, obviously, the "too fast" gameplay) like when I enable frameskipping, so I know it's not doing that. What exactly is unlimited changing in the emulator itself to enable these speeds (And what is it sacrificing in order to achieve this, because I can't see anything)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2013, 02:04 AM
(06-27-2013 12:35 AM)Furby Wrote:  (I made a topic about this earlier, but I think I may get a better response here)

Why is it, when I'm on my mobile devices, I'm able to get a higher VPS with speed set to "Unlimited" than on any other setting?

On my two mobile devices, none of them can, normally, run any game above 20-40 VPS normally, no matter the game (Generalizing, but it works for the visual). However, with the speed set to unlimited, I'm able to achieve a VPS of at least 80 in most cases.

I was under the impression that the settings didn't change anything but the max possible VPS, with Standard being at 60, Fixed being at what you define it in settings, and unlimited being, well, unlimited. But that's clearly wrong. I don't notice any real visual or audio artifacts (Besides, obviously, the "too fast" gameplay) like when I enable frameskipping, so I know it's not doing that. What exactly is unlimited changing in the emulator itself to enable these speeds (And what is it sacrificing in order to achieve this, because I can't see anything)?

Your understanding of the settings are correct; they work as they should on Windows.

I have a feeling that on Android, when Speed is set to unlimited, frameskipping is also automatically turned on together with the framelimiter unlock, resulting in your speed gains.

I could be wrong about this.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
06-27-2013, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 03:05 AM by Furby.)
(06-27-2013 02:04 AM)solarmystic Wrote:  
(06-27-2013 12:35 AM)Furby Wrote:  (I made a topic about this earlier, but I think I may get a better response here)

Your understanding of the settings are correct; they work as they should on Windows.

I have a feeling that on Android, when Speed is set to unlimited, frameskipping is also automatically turned on together with the framelimiter unlock, resulting in your speed gains.

I could be wrong about this.

See, I thought that at first too, because that would have made sense given what I was seeing. However, what I noticed was that with frame skipping (At least on my mobile), it causes a lot of my games to "jump" around (FFI and FFT were the main culprits) a bit more than they should, all things given. I don't see such jumpiness with the speed set to unlimited.

However, given the apparent smoothness of whatever on earth it does, I'd love for there to be some way to limit it back down to 60. When the games get themselves down to 60 on my phone (THey never go that far back down on my tablet), they feel like I'm looking at my PSP again.

EDIT: Actually, you may be right, looking back at it. You can see the jumpiness in games like FFT more readily can I'd like.
06-27-2013, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 02:35 AM by TheDax.)
Figured it'd be a good time to add this:

In PPSSPP.ini, there's a new option called "CPUSpeed" under [CPU]. It's set to 0 by default, but if you set it to some number > 0, it'll lock the emulated PSP's CPU speed at whatever Mhz you set it to. It's a hack that can relieve some slowdown in games that aren't emulated properly yet(or if they slow down over time, like Diva 2nd's title screen, from it changing the CPU speed to 222 -> 333 -> 222, etc.), or allow games that have slowdowns on real PSPs to run smoothly all the time, if your device/PC can handle it. Or, conversely, if your PC/device is too slow to handle a certain game, you can set the CPU speed below 222 to underclock the PSP, which might allow some games to run at full VPS that didn't before.

Oh, and Raven02 added a GUI to it, so when it gets merged, it'll be easier to use on Android. The GUI version has a max speed of 666 though, so if you need or want more, you'll need to edit the INI file.

Note: This option DOES affect performance. Emulating a PSP with 'speeds' higher than 333 can and will result in performance loss if your device isn't beefy!

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
06-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Hi, how do I obtain logs on IOS?
06-30-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 12:37 PM by Brian.F.)
I really don't understand how to use this option to lock the cpu with my galaxy s3 or even if it's for the galaxy s3, it says button preference 0 or X to confirm.
Press X or 0 where? It just seems to be stuck at 222 and doesn't change at all or is it just meant to be stuck at 222, it's just very confusing
06-30-2013, 04:53 PM
You need to edit the .ini file using a root explorer app on android to change emulated freq, the "o or x to confirm" option that you are talking about is an option that lets you use X or O in games to select(O is usually for japanese psp and X for other)
06-30-2013, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 05:23 PM by Brian.F.)
Oh thank you, very kind of you to reply
Okay correct me if I'm wrong, so I go to the ppsspp data using root explorer and find the ini and change it there
I'm going to go and try it
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 06:16 PM by TheDax.)
What he said. On Android, there's no GUI to edit the CPU speed setting yet.

Edit: Yes there is. Grab a more recent Git build. Sorry, it slipped my mind.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
06-30-2013, 09:43 PM
It would make it a lot easier if you could swipe the speed and other options up and down with a slide.
I maybe doing it wrong but I really can't see much difference and with the newer builds games like tekken 5 that used to work great now have bad slow down.
06-30-2013, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2013 10:10 PM by The Phoenix.)
(06-30-2013 09:43 PM)Brian.F Wrote:  It would make it a lot easier if you could swipe the speed and other options up and down with a slide.
I maybe doing it wrong but I really can't see much difference and with the newer builds games like tekken 5 that used to work great now have bad slow down.
It all depends on which settings you have ticked or switched on.
Here are my settings used........

I just realised you are using a Samsung Galaxy S3, even though i used PC for these settings try them anyway, may improve your speed in the game.

Hope they help you.
07-01-2013, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 12:49 AM by Brian.F.)
Thank for trying but now the speed is at 28 with most games and even ridge racer 2 which played almost perfect is now suffering and that's on default system settings.
When a game starts it's on great speed but yellow writing pops up saying something like hardware transform error going back to default settings then it slows right down and that's with frame skipping, even worse with it off

It's unplayable now, used to hit at least 60 in speed and games like god of war hardly move and other games just stutter but fps is fine and goes up to 60
07-01-2013, 04:40 AM
Sad RE: PPSSPP options explained
please help, do you know any preferred settings for Nexus 7 for best gameplay, especially with P3P? thanks a lot
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I want to ask about some ini options...what are they doing:
AutoLoadLast - I thought it would auto load the last played game but it does nothing
ConfirmOnQuit - I thought it would ask if I want to close ppsspp but it does nothing
NumWorkerThreads - ?
FramebuffersToMem - ?
KeyMapping - ?
EncryptSave - do I really need this

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
(07-02-2013 12:53 PM)vsub_ Wrote:  I want to ask about some ini options...what are they doing:
AutoLoadLast - I thought it would auto load the last played game but it does nothing
ConfirmOnQuit - I thought it would ask if I want to close ppsspp but it does nothing
NumWorkerThreads - ?
FramebuffersToMem - ?
KeyMapping - ?
EncryptSave - do I really need this

I think some of these options in the .ini file are disused...
And about "EncryptSave", I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that you should let it enabled in order to protect your saves from corruption Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2