Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Borderless window request
01-04-2016, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 01:46 PM by zombone.)
Borderless window request
Is there any chance we can get this? The reason I ask is that when I play using fullscreen I have to make a compromise. Having vsync on causes stutters or frame sync issues, but turning it off results in screen tearing.

Adaptive vsync in NVidia control panel doesn't help with the tearing either. However, playing in a window has neither issue and having it borderless would be perfect. Thanks for listening.

Edit: I was wrong, it still has stutters in windowed mode. If I may make another suggestion, PCSX2 has an absolutely perfect implementation of vsync. In the gs window settings if you turn on both of the bottom options, it has no stutters or tearing at all. I know this well because I was playing Ys: The Ark of Napishtim and the stutter was unbearable before setting those.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2016, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 05:23 PM by Accel.)
RE: Borderless window request
By 'stutter', you mean flickering?
If yes, that is cause by 'Skip Buffered Rendering' (previously known as Non-buffered Rendering) and not Vsync

Edit: Vsync have no problem with me at all

Old laptop: Lenovo G458
AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7310 | 1366x768@60Hz | APU E1-1200 Dual Core | 2.5 GB DDR3 400MHz | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

New laptop: Lenovo ideapad 100
Nvidia Geforce 920M 2GB / Intel HD Graphics 5500 | 1366x768@60Hz | Intel Core i3-5005U 2GB | 2GB DDR3 2000MHz | Window 10 Home 64-bit
01-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Our full screen is actually just a borderless window.

We just call wglSwapIntervalEXT(1) when vsync is turned on, like pcsx2 seems to. I'm not sure what the other checkbox does, because I don't have a second one, and it doesn't appear in the source code:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/blob/c700...l.cpp#L106

-[Unknown]
01-05-2016, 04:07 AM
Using the latest stable release of pcsx2 1.2.1 in the gs window settings the bottom two options are "Wait for Vsync on refresh" and "Dynamically toggle Vsync depending on frame rate". Without both of those checked I had awful stutter in most games, like I said Ys was one. If you can test it out I'm sure you will see the difference. Thanks for replying.
01-06-2016, 03:48 AM
Okay, well they just removed that option a couple months ago, so you might want to let them know if it was a good feature:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/206

Well, auto-disabling vsync when emulation falls behind doesn't sound crazy, and that seems like essentially what this does.

-[Unknown]
01-06-2016, 08:52 PM
I just got the latest build and you're right, it's not there anymore. I haven't had a chance to try it yet to see if the stutter is there but for some reason vsync is greyed out for me. Thanks a lot for the replies.