Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Steam Link streaming and "Alternative speed" feature don't work together
12-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Steam Link streaming and "Alternative speed" feature don't work together
Hello,

I just configured PPSSPP to be launchable through Steam so I could stream it to my TV with the new Steam Link. For those unfamiliar, it's a little $50 device from Steam that lets you stream anything from your PC running Steam to a TV in another room on your network. It basically receives streaming video of what's going on on your PC, but also handles the gamepad input.

It works pretty great, except for one feature... the alternative speed function. I tested it locally without the Steam Link and it works just fine, but when I am playing it through the Steam Link, it doesn't.

What I see is whenever I hit the toggle for Alternative Speed, it correctly announces that it is going into that mode at the top, it speeds up for maybe a split a second, and then it returns to normal speed. At that point, toggling back and forth does nothing.

I'm using the latest stable version, 1.1.1. Does anyone know what the deal with this is? I've tried switching between OpenGL and Direct3D and it didn't help.

Thanks for any assistance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: Steam Link streaming and "Alternative speed" feature don't work together
(12-12-2015 04:03 PM)Kenaf Wrote:  Hello,

I just configured PPSSPP to be launchable through Steam so I could stream it to my TV with the new Steam Link. For those unfamiliar, it's a little $50 device from Steam that lets you stream anything from your PC running Steam to a TV in another room on your network. It basically receives streaming video of what's going on on your PC, but also handles the gamepad input.

It works pretty great, except for one feature... the alternative speed function. I tested it locally without the Steam Link and it works just fine, but when I am playing it through the Steam Link, it doesn't.

What I see is whenever I hit the toggle for Alternative Speed, it correctly announces that it is going into that mode at the top, it speeds up for maybe a split a second, and then it returns to normal speed. At that point, toggling back and forth does nothing.

I'm using the latest stable version, 1.1.1. Does anyone know what the deal with this is? I've tried switching between OpenGL and Direct3D and it didn't help.

Thanks for any assistance.

I'm having the exact same problem. My machine is more than powerful enough to handle this, so it must be a setting, either in ppsspp or Nvidia 3d settings or steam itself. Throttle does not work either btw. What's weird is that the emulator shows I've chosen Alternative speed, but nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It works fine when not streaming, and other emulators "turbo modes" work over streaming, just not ppsspp.
07-13-2017, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 04:27 PM by InanimateCrbnRod.)
RE: Steam Link streaming and "Alternative speed" feature don't work together
For anyone else having this problem I found a solution. It has to do with the steamlink capping framerate at 60. edit the ini of ppsspp to cap framerate at 30, then enable frameskipping at 1, with no automatic frameskip. I didn't notice any visual quality loss from halving framerate and it gave me plenty of headroom to turbo. If you have a game that natively runs at 30 instead of 60, and find the 15fps too low, then just disable frameskip. Note that if you touch the frame settings after you edit the ini, you will have to re-edit the ini.

In the future maybe devs could enable a feature to limit fps to 30 automatically?? maybe that's too much work idk.