Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is the RAM DUMP...
03-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Is the RAM DUMP...
Is the Debug Ram Dump featured, implemented in build v0.7-207-g1f14f1f, some way to get better logs from games? Much like a way to get complete logs like those with Visual Studio?

If it's not, then it's possible to include an function to dump the logs needed by developers? Because I think the ones from User/Logs are not enough...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Is the RAM DUMP...
The RAM dump is mostly useful for hacking/translating games, I think, and some forms of debugging. It could help in specific scenarios when games are crashing.

I think we'd need to measure the impact of adding debug logging to release, performance wise, before enabling it. It will definitely make it slower, but the question is how much - if it's small enough when debug logging is disabled, it could be worth it. That said, I don't think it's wrong for it to be compiled out by default.

Another option would be to include pdbs and PPSSPPDebug.exe in the git builds. This would allow people to run a different binary to get full debug logging, without affecting performance of the primary release version. However, this would probably double the load on the build server...

-[Unknown]
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 10:53 AM by Masato.)
RE: Is the RAM DUMP...
Maybe the needed files for debuging could be packed in another file and posted in MediaFire or anything similar.

I think the PPSSPPdebug.exe would be the best course of action. It's possible to create a test build with that?

EDIT: the reason I ask for built-in debug features is that it's nearly impossible to download Visual Studio 2010 and the DirectX SDK because my connection keeps breaking the download...