Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Performance degraded in Nexus 7
11-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Performance degraded in Nexus 7
I simply feel my Nexus 7 is capable of running any PSP games, even light ones like Mega Man X Maverick Hunter, a game that isn't terribly demanding in the first place. The reason I feel that way is I perhaps have had the false impression that some games can be run without resorting to frameskip, but alas, this is no longer the case. As of 1.1.1, the game will either run 40-45/60 fps without frameskip, or have smooth audio but run at half the framerate with frameskip.

I'm not trying to come across as being rude or impatient, I simply feel that soon, very soon, I will no longer be able to enjoy PSP games on the go on my Nexus 7 tablet, and it's not surprising, the tablet isn't new and I'm sure you guys have bigger fish to fry as far as supporting newer devices, obsolescence and all that. That being said, older versions obviously ran games better, but as emulation accuracy increases and improves, system requirements necessarily go up and as a result, I'm pretty much SOL short of spending money on a new tablet, despite the fact I got this last Christmas, so I don't know what to do, what the best settings for 1.1.1 are, what games I can expect to run well, etc.

I am very much on the verge of just giving up even trying to find the right game configurations, but I can't even do that. Resolution is at native resolution, rendering mode was changed, frameskip, turning the FPS limit off, none of that made the game run better. No matter what I do, none of the games I run run at acceptable speeds. Huh

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 01:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 03:22 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: Performance degraded in Nexus 7
I think this game uses what we've put under the umbrella "slower effects". You can check a box in settings to disable slower effects. Or try disabling "block transfers". These two operations are usually what makes games slower that used to be fast - some games use them for minor effects, like bloom, and they don't have a huge impact to ~~performance~~ quality. But in other games, they have a big impact to quality and must work.

Also, I'm not sure, but I seem to remember someone reporting that an optimization recently helped that game on their device in the latest git builds.

-[Unknown]
11-10-2015, 01:34 AM
RE: Performance degraded in Nexus 7
Once again, I hope my tone doesn't come across as being ungrateful or bitter, that's not my intention; more confused than anything, actually. I don't know if it's related to the fact that graphics that used to have translucency are now opaque (such as the beam attack in this game, or in Spark Mandrill's stage, the sparks are no longer translucent, it's quite odd). Having said that, I'll try those following settings, and I do thank you for your time. I hope that the Nexus 7 won't get to the point where PPSSPP becomes too much for it.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM