Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The latest builds makes graphics edges looks Pixelated + Blurry screen
11-05-2015, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 11:03 PM by Shinox.)
The latest builds makes graphics edges looks Pixelated + Blurry screen
Like what the titles says , i never faced this problem before but i like the performance so far in this latest build .. but it seems like the latest builds is affecting something important , it seems like the latest builds is designed to optimize the performance for smartphone users by downgrading the graphics using OpenGL.. which affects PC users too since its only in OpenGL just for a reminder ( Direct3D does not show this issue since its only happen in OpenGL )

here's an example of how the OpenGL in the latest builds :
[Image: XMcEEt2.jpg]
[Image: v9tJmOD.jpg]

The edges looks jagged , the textures and the screen looks kinda blurry
this seems not normal , at least to me since i been using this emulator all the time and from build to build from time to time ( since last month )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 12:00 AM
RE: The latest builds makes graphics edges looks Pixelated + Blurry screen
Nothing like you describe happened. I would guess, you used upscaling post processing shader in 3D game which is pointless and in older versions they weren't even working.
Try changing post processing shader or turn it off completely, and if that doesn't help, restore settings to default(option for that under system settings) as quite a few things changed and old config might be even breaking stuff. But I would bet on post proc shaders since D3D backend doesn't support them at all;p.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
11-06-2015, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 08:42 AM by Shinox.)
What do you mean by NOTHING when the screenshots clearly showing to you !? i always .. i repeat ALWAYS been using upscaling post processing shader in 3D game since the last month build and before AND THEY ARE WORKING since they improve the quality of the games .. its clearly this problem started in the latest builds , i tried this in different PC's and it shows the exact same problem so please don't twist things around as if nothing happened , i'm positively 100% sure that this happen in the recent builds and i absolutely never faced that before since i'v been using this emulator since 2013 and the post processing has always been working in OpenGL .. i said this happens only in OpenGL backend recently so there most be something wrong the devs did in OpenGL backend to give this result on post processing , if there's a change in the PPSSPP development happens recently please tell me , do not doubt in my words, please :\ smh
11-06-2015, 09:04 AM
If you are talking about Spline upscaling, it was not quite doing the right thing before, and it should not really have made things noticeably better than just postprocessing off. Now it does the right thing but only at original PSP resolution. It's possible we could make it work for the final upscaling at other resolutions too but there seems to be little quality increase.

None of the other post processing shaders should have changed their behaviour, except the 5x one which was broken before... Which one are you using?
11-06-2015, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 09:40 AM by Shinox.)
Hi Henrik ~ ^0^
I always use Spline36 , to me this shader really does an amazing job at making the graphics looks almost close to the PS3 level since it makes the screen , the textures and the edges looks clean since its covered with something similar used in PC games , it almost has the same effect like the Normal Map Specular shader effect that used in Vindictus and i wish you guys could pull that effect and put it into the shader effects too ..

With : [Image: 009VN-513b4a87-11a7-43ce-83cf-e419aa61e9a3.JPG] Without : [Image: 009VN-a2a88590-91b3-49b9-822a-65f1f6aa90c9.JPG]

anyway , what i'm trying to say that i always rely on Spline36 shader in term of quality
11-06-2015, 09:39 AM
(11-06-2015 08:35 AM)Shinox Wrote:  (...)
(lots of keyboard anger here)
(...)

By "nothing like that happened" I obviously ment your android optimization theory.

If you say you liked existing upscaling shaders back then, then you kind of contradict yourself because they could not do any upscaling at all.

Spline 36 kind of still doesn't look nice anywhere I could test, 4xHQ might need some tweaking per game, and 5xBR works in pretty much all cases, those are all 3 upscaling postprocessing shaders we have all using x1 rendering resolution for input.
Previously we had 2 with spline36 pretty much same just at whatever resolution you used and 4xHQ which wasn't even doing ANY scaling in neither direction because person that added it forgot to set it.

Either way if you saw improvement in 3D games from using any of those 2 older ones that must have been placebo, as far as I care that could be reverted.

Heh same story as with hacks, once you add something broken people will get attached to it... >.> Emulation drama.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Enough "android optimization theory" .. here's the proof from the older builds using the Spline36 shader ( ppsspp-v1.1.0-10-ga212ebd )
[Image: 3tlw1ts.jpg]
[Image: ngNeblN.jpg]

Whatever happens to the latest builds .. all i did is post my feedback about the changes , that's all
11-06-2015, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 02:44 PM by [Unknown].)
There's no reason to be angry.

We did not make any changes with the goal of sacrificing graphics quality for Android/mobile performance. Theory or proof or anything else, it doesn't matter. If something changed to make quality worse, it was an accident, bug, or misunderstanding. That's all LunaMoo was trying to clarify.

Anyway, my understanding is that the shader you were using is an "upscaling" shader. It was not working correctly before, and is now working correctly. You do not like the effect of the spline36 shader working correctly. That's well understood - again, no need to become angry, defensive, or agitated.

If you want, you can add a custom post-processing shader that does what you want.

[NonUpscaleSpline36]
Name=Spline36 Non-Upscaler
Fragment=upscale_spline36.fsh
Vertex=upscale_spline36.vsh
OutputResolution=True
RequiresIntSupport=True
Upscaling=False

IMPORTANT: Make sure Upscaling is False. If it is True, then PPSSPP will render at 1x and allow the shader to upscale to the destination resolution. This is what Upscaling means. You do not want upscaling, that is what you are angry about. It was not working correctly before, which is why you didn't notice that this is an upscaling shader, but Upscaling=True has always been here.

This is basically a case of this:
https://xkcd.com/1172/

-[Unknown]
11-06-2015, 04:00 PM
[Image: kuw5Ohr.gif]