Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
JIT on non-jailbroken iOS
10-10-2015, 06:10 PM
JIT on non-jailbroken iOS
I've been wondering. If I understand the situation correctly, a non-jailbroken iOS device cannot use the JIT complier because of a code-signing issue. Xcode 7 allows anyone with an AppleID to sign an app for personal use. I know that it is possible because I've installed both PPSSPP (pre and post the iconv issue) and Provenance via Xcode 7. Can JIT now be enabled for those devices, or does it still need to be jailbroken (because there is more to the issue than the code-signing requirement)?

Please keep in mind that I am not a programmer, so if you can translate the technical stuff into simpler terms it would help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2015, 08:32 PM
RE: JIT on non-jailbroken iOS
No, iOS doesn't allow apps to create executable memory. The only exception is for web browser JavaScript engines, which is a special "entitlement".

Most jailbreaks replace the iOS function that creates memory with one that allows all apps to create executable memory.

The issue isn't really about code signing.

See here:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/serious...os.278666/

It might be possible to make it work if:
1. You are willing to always run it on your phone by plugging it into a laptop or computer (you won't be able to launch it without one.)
2. You're willing to keep it plugged in to that laptop or computer for the entire duration of your usage (it closes automatically if disconnected.)

But at that point, why not just play it on the laptop or computer instead?

-[Unknown]
10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
RE: JIT on non-jailbroken iOS
Thanks for the info. I'll just have to get a more powerful iDevice.