Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why does CE Crash ppsspp
09-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Why does CE Crash ppsspp
Whenever i search for a value on ppsspp with Cheat engine, i will get three values. two of them just change to ???? when i change them and the other one crashes the emulator when i change it.

This has so far happened with phantasy star, god eater , lord of arcana, and phantasy star 2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2015, 02:34 AM
RE: Why does CE Crash ppsspp
I don't know much about Cheat Engine, but we use operating system memory mapping. I'm pretty sure this confuses cheat engine. We'd rather games run fast than make them run slow and have Cheat Engine just see one thing of memory. It's pretty much in the core of how we handle memory too, so it'd be a lot of work to change, and that work would all make it slower.

PPSSPP has some cheat and debugging functionality built in, including a memory viewer. But it's surely basic in comparison for cheats, since most of the contributors are not cheating enthusiasts.

That being said, I think someone has posted a tutorial on how to get Cheat Engine sorta working.

-[Unknown]
09-22-2015, 03:08 AM
(09-22-2015 02:34 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  I don't know much about Cheat Engine, but we use operating system memory mapping. I'm pretty sure this confuses cheat engine. We'd rather games run fast than make them run slow and have Cheat Engine just see one thing of memory. It's pretty much in the core of how we handle memory too, so it'd be a lot of work to change, and that work would all make it slower.

PPSSPP has some cheat and debugging functionality built in, including a memory viewer. But it's surely basic in comparison for cheats, since most of the contributors are not cheating enthusiasts.

That being said, I think someone has posted a tutorial on how to get Cheat Engine sorta working.

-[Unknown]

can you give me a link Sir?
09-22-2015, 05:11 AM
I forgot to keep the track to have a link or even just copy and paste, but it's easy.

In cheat engine go to Edit->Settings->Scan Settings-> check "MEM_MAPPED" to be able to find anything. Never change the 3 mirrors which you're finding now also never freeze values with high frequency and don't bother using CE debugging features since it doesn't support mips and that's what you want with PSP games.
If you want your addresses to be valid next time, you will have to find or create a pointer for them just like you would in pc games. That's really all about CE.

If you want to limit memory range for search - after running first game, the PPSSPP log will print the address where PSP memory starts(different each emulator restart), add 8 mb to that and you'll have an address where the user memory starts, add another 24 or 56mb(depending on psp-1000 / psp-2000/3000 model selected) to get where it ends. That will make your search much quicker and avoid messing with PPSSPP stuff by accident. You can also use that information the other way to create CW cheats from the addresses you find or continue with ppsspp disassembly. Address where user memory starts = 0x0 in cw cheats or 0x8800000 in emulator.

PPSSPP debugging features are under - suprise - "Debug" menu, if you know mips asm you can do some pretty cool stuff with it, much better, multiplatform and practically free performance side vs anything CE has to offer for emulators, especially to well optimized ones like this one.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Quick question, how do you put a ramdump back? I took a ram.dump file from PPSSPP and edited it with cheat engine to a point where i think what i'm trying to do will work, but how do i put that back into where i got it from?