Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Multithreading
09-11-2015, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 08:42 PM by vnctdj.)
Multithreading
I have a S6 edge plus and I thought turning on the multithreaded option would boost performance. However, the game runs better with the option turned off. Is there a reason for this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 09:45 AM
RE: Peace walker and multithreaded
Well multithreading being better in anything is misconception of modern times. Most people think it will use more cores hence being faster, however in reality not everything is worth dividing into threads because lots of work has to be synchronized and that is not free. In cases where synchronization has to be very tight(like in most emulators), it can get soo costly that you divide one light thread into multiply heavier ones - which is useless. The overhead will also differ from cpu architecture, ironically multithreading on slowest cpu's will bring the worst results and often it's only beneficial on desktops with high end intel cpu's that doesn't even need it(from ppsspp perspectiveTongue). It's usually not worth using on mobiles unless in some game it really means a difference between playable and not, because the load will always be bigger with multithreading than without which will drain your battery faster.

I would add that multithreading option in ppsspp causes bugs in many games. Mobile users as I recall were quarreling against fixing it since fixes to it made it even slower and since then it was somewhat forgotten. So yeah I wouldn't recommend just blindly activating it for everything. Experimental options in general should be treated like hacks - it's there, you are free to test it, it can improve, but might as well degrade your experience and the results will really differ between devices and games.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-11-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: Peace walker and multithreaded
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah multithread ingredients isn't so great on my device since it's been slowing down all my games.
09-11-2015, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 08:42 PM by vnctdj.)
RE: Multithreading
Thread's title updated.

Moved.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-15-2016, 01:46 AM
I always use multitread on my 4 cores low android and it gives me great speed boost but, on some games I have textures bugs like colored/crazy/worst skin or crash in certain areas of a game, so is better leaving this off on theses games, I think it could change from device to device.
07-21-2016, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2016 05:18 AM by applepiejr.)
i would like to report turning on multithreading can give a nice boost on PC, tested on Win 7 and a Dual Core processor which has hyper threading (4 threads)
i want to say it gives about a 20% boost in speed for me, and turned games that didn't quite manage full speed to now getting full speed Smile

OS Win 7 Ult SP1 x64 CPU i7-2675QM 2 cores 1.2 GHz GPU AMD 6750M 300 MHz VRAM 512 MB 450 MHz RAM 4 GB 667 MHz
PC CPU 19.2 GFLOPS GPU 288 GFLOPS 2.4 GP/s 7.2 GT/s VRAM 512 MB 28.8 GB/s
X360 CPU 19.2 GFLOPS GPU 240 GFLOPS 4 GP/s 8 GT/s VRAM 512 MB 32 GB/s
PS3 CPU 23 GFLOPS GPU 228.8 GFLOPS 4.4 GP/s 13.2 GT/s VRAM 512 MB 25.6 GB/s
08-19-2016, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 05:30 AM by Anubis2048.)
So I'm guessing using multithreading on an octacore snapdragon isn't such a great idea hahaha
*EDIT*
I have a ZTE Zmax Pro with a snapdragon with an octacore. I thought running PPSSPP in multithreaded mode would make my games run better - it freaking doesn't, and disabling multithreaded mode really gives a speed boost. So I can further confirm what OP was saying.
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2016 02:16 PM by TkSilver.)
There are no Octacore Snapdragon processors. What the SD 617 (the processor in your ZTE ZMax Pro) is/is 2 quad core processors that work kinda together/kinda not, to deliver more battery life not more performance.

Or an easier way of looking at cellphone octa/hex cores (not all since there are a few actual ones) is a processor with a higher but less efficent (power and heat wise) turbo clock. Basically the device will look to use the slower more efficient cores for every task it can until it becomes more power and heat efficent to do the task a little faster in exchange for more upfront energy cost to save as much battery as possible.