Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting games in PPSSPP from another app
09-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Starting games in PPSSPP from another app
I'm the developer for an emulator frontend (ARC Browser) available for Android TV. Basically my app indexes all your roms and launches emulators when you wanna play a game. Unfortunately I'm having trouble integrating it with PPSSPP. Information I've found suggests that I should be able to launch an intent for org.ppsspp.ppsspp/.PpssppActivity with an extra called org.ppsspp.ppsspp.Shortcuts containing the path to the ISO, but it just doesn't work. When I do, I just get to the PPSSPP "start" screen, no game loaded.

Does anyone know how I could accomplish this? Is it not supported anymore? Is it not supported on Android TV?

Sent an e-mail to the developer, but I haven't heard back yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 12:34 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: Starting games in PPSSPP from another app
I use this all the time to start specific games on my Android TV:

adb shell am start -n org.ppsspp.ppsspp/.PpssppActivity -e org.ppsspp.ppsspp.Shortcuts /sdcard/PSP/etc/etc

It's my primary method of debugging.

Please note that it must be a full path (or http:// URL, to stream from a PC on the same wifi) to the game. If it doesn't work, check the adb logcat to see if it failed to open the path you passed.

-[Unknown]
09-04-2015, 08:28 AM
(09-04-2015 12:34 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  I use this all the time to start specific games on my Android TV:

adb shell am start -n org.ppsspp.ppsspp/.PpssppActivity -e org.ppsspp.ppsspp.Shortcuts /sdcard/PSP/etc/etc

It's my primary method of debugging.

Please note that it must be a full path (or http:// URL, to stream from a PC on the same wifi) to the game. If it doesn't work, check the adb logcat to see if it failed to open the path you passed.

-[Unknown]

Yeah I've tried *exactly* that, but it just doesn't work. Just gets me to the PPSSPP file chooser. Logcat doesn't even mention the game...
...turns out it does work on my Nvidia SHIELD Android TV, but not in the emulator. No idea why.
09-04-2015, 12:59 PM
You mean the Android emulator? I don't think I've ever tried PPSSPP in it. A bit surprised to hear PPSSPP even runs properly at all.

-[Unknown]
09-04-2015, 01:05 PM
(09-04-2015 12:59 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  You mean the Android emulator? I don't think I've ever tried PPSSPP in it. A bit surprised to hear PPSSPP even runs properly at all.

-[Unknown]

Yeah. PPSSP can actually even start the game in there (if started from the PPSSPP file chooser), it's real slow though. Just weird that the intent doesn't work.
12-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Since I paid for the gold version, I'm also interested in knowing how to set the Android intent. In Arc Browser, the intent for the regular PPSSPP (not paid version) is: org.ppsspp.ppsspp/.PpssppActivity

That works. However for the Gold version, the intent is set to:

org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/.PpssppActivity

This used to work, but with the latest release or so, it no longer works.

Consequently, can you tell us what the correct intent should be for the gold version of PPSSPP?

Thanks,
Manny
01-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Just for the record I sent this to one of my users a while ago:

"Did some testing today. With the free (non-gold) version I could get it to load the game from ARC Browser, but only if PPSSPP wasn't already running in the background. So basically it worked the first time, but then I had to go into settings -> apps and force close PPSSPP before it would work again. This seems like something the PPSSPP devs should be able to fix. With the gold version I wasn't able to make it load the game from ARC Browser at all. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about this."

Several more users have since asked about this. Would be nice if someone could look into it.
01-14-2016, 03:15 PM
I'll look into it before the next release, thanks for reporting the problem!
01-19-2016, 01:34 PM
It'll be nice to have a complete section in the emulator that shows all available cmdline options.
06-29-2017, 01:45 AM
I had been having trouble with pspgold not launching as well i was using Gamesome launcher and have found the solution so far, apparently the component is not org.ppsspp.ppssppgold.PpssppActivity as one would asume
it works actually with org.ppsspp.ppsspp.PpssppActivity.
09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
I have exactly the Same Problem in Arc Browser. PPSSPP Gold 1.4.2 gives me Error "Activity not found! Are you sure the specific emulator is installed?"

Please help.

Tried both
org.ppsspp.ppsspp/.PpssppActivity
org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/.PpssppActivity
Could it be that the package name is ppssppgold but the activity without gold?

Thanks