Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to PPSSPP - Samsung Galaxy Tab S vs. S2
08-11-2015, 02:37 AM
New to PPSSPP - Samsung Galaxy Tab S vs. S2
Folks,
I would like to say first thanks for the great work of creating a very (VERY) customize-able and feature rich PSP emulator. I bought the "gold" version as my humble way of supporting the work by throwing in some coin.

Today, I have the old'ish Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (GT-N5110). I've spent the weekend tweeking it so that I could play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.
I bought a digital (PSN) copy of this game back when the Vita was about to be release foolishly expecting it to eventually become availible to US PSVitas, but as you may know, for us Americans, that never happened, and I'm quite sure that it never will.

Anyway, I have it up and running and have followed the "speed tweek" guide as best as I can using PPSSPP ver 1.0.1. But alas, I think that my old tablet just can't give me very many fps. (I think the speed display clocking me at "5/20 fps , 100% speed).

I'd like to trade up and get a faster tablet. I've got my eye on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (rumored to be released hopefully this month in the US).

Making this long story short:
Do you think that I should buy the SG Tab S2 when it releases and buy it (expecting much better speed and FPS "enjoyable rate") or... should I still wait for it's release and go with the older SG Tab S assuming it will still be available but price dropped.

Any helpful comments are greatly appreciated. And if there are any comments steering away from Samsung to another make/model, please share as well.

Also, I hope that this thread is created in an appropriate section and that this question hasn't already been asked. (I tried searching, but I think this may be the first of it's kind in regards to Samsung Galaxy Tab S's)

Cheers,
Rh0gii
Simper Gumby
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2015, 01:26 PM
RE: New to PPSSPP - Samsung Galaxy Tab S vs. S2
The Galaxy Tab 2 will be using last year's Exynos SOC available in the Note 4. It's not using the newer Exynos chip in the SG S6. You'll probably get better framerates compared to your Note 8.0, but don't expect to get full frames in many games. You'll still need to use many of the same "speed tweaks" and also some frame skipping.

Here's a video showing how a Note 4 and S6 runs Vice City Stories with PPSSPP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jfEilzuGEA

Both devices have performance problems, but the Note 4 has it more so.
08-11-2015, 02:08 PM
@fivefeet8,
Thanks for the reply. Those are phones you're talking about, if I'm not mistaken. Would the tablets work any better? (Tablet S / Tablet S2). Also, I understand that some frame skipping will be necessary, but hoping to get a smoother (more enjoyable) experience by upgrading.

Thanks!
08-11-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 02:33 PM by fivefeet8.)
(08-11-2015 02:08 PM)rh0gii Wrote:  @fivefeet8,
Thanks for the reply. Those are phones you're talking about, if I'm not mistaken. Would the tablets work any better? (Tablet S / Tablet S2). Also, I understand that some frame skipping will be necessary, but hoping to get a smoother (more enjoyable) experience by upgrading.

Thanks!

Yes, they are phones, but they have the same CPU/GPU as the Tablet. The Tablet will have more thermal headroom for higher clocks and less throttling, but overall the performance will not be that much different. I guess there is a chance the new Tablet will have newer GPU drivers and that may increase performance some, but I haven't seen much with that in the past with most Mobile SOCs. You'll definately get a smoother experience by upgrading mind you. But I wouldn't expect it to become completely smooth with the Tablet upgrade you have in mind.
08-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tip. I see the the Tab S is onsale (likely to make room for it's replacement. I'll check into that). Thanks again, I really appreaciate it!