Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP on Chromebooks: An Almost Guide
06-21-2015, 11:32 PM
PPSSPP on Chromebooks: An Almost Guide
I have it set up to the last step, at which point it crashes if someone could help me fix it, I would love to make a complete guide.

So my old (6 years or so) windows laptop finally gave out and I have to save up for a few more months to afford a new one. I do, however, have a school issued chromebook (which I cannot boot into dev mode and Linux, I would have if I could). You, reader, may have noticed that there is no version for the chromebook. Here's how I did it.

I downloaded the APK for android, and followed the steps one would to get it working on a chromebook (just google getting an android app working on a chromebook. It's easy.) Package it with twerk, load it an unpacked extension, have the android runtime installed (from evernote or a few others), easy as pie. PPSSPP starts up just fine, I can browse around settings and storage devices, and my ROMs show up, but when I try to start the actual ROM, it crashes. I have more knowledge than the average techie, I would say, but this is well above my pay grade. The console says the crash occurred at plugin.js at line 996 (something about line 777 in plugin.js too). I would like to finish this guide (and get it working for myself) so if someone has an idea, would you mind responding?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2015, 03:04 AM
RE: PPSSPP on Chromebooks: An Almost Guide
Maybe it's possible to compile it for ChromeOS directly?

http://thomasloughlin.com/compile-on-chrome-os/

Is it possible to get a stack trace or anything from that crash? Hard to tell what's going wrong from "plugin.js" since I assume that's some ChromeOS thing (PPSSPP doesn't use any .js files.)

Although, I suppose the best thing would be compiling for nacl. Not sure how much work that would involve, might be easy as long as it's local...

-[Unknown]
06-22-2015, 06:24 PM
(06-22-2015 03:04 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Maybe it's possible to compile it for ChromeOS directly?

I can't post links so you get to read this instead

Is it possible to get a stack trace or anything from that crash? Hard to tell what's going wrong from "plugin.js" since I assume that's some ChromeOS thing (PPSSPP doesn't use any .js files.)

Although, I suppose the best thing would be compiling for nacl. Not sure how much work that would involve, might be easy as long as it's local...

-[Unknown]

Compiling directly requires dev mode so a no go sadly, but I did get the NaCl Dev Env bash console working. Now one more problem. Bash is hard. I do not understand it in the least. well, a bit, but not really. I'll keep looking into it, but in the meantime do you know anything about how to use NaCl or Bash? Also, which version should I try to compile with NaCl?
06-22-2015, 11:53 PM
(06-22-2015 06:24 PM)Ryoutarou97 Wrote:  I can't post links so you get to read this instead

Haha, sorry about that. This forum gets a lot of spam, and this restriction theoretically makes it less attractive for spammers.

(06-22-2015 06:24 PM)Ryoutarou97 Wrote:  Compiling directly requires dev mode so a no go sadly, but I did get the NaCl Dev Env bash console working. Now one more problem. Bash is hard. I do not understand it in the least. well, a bit, but not really. I'll keep looking into it, but in the meantime do you know anything about how to use NaCl or Bash? Also, which version should I try to compile with NaCl?

I would try the latest git against NaCl. I've never used NaCl before but it might be similar to the build instructions:

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/wiki/...structions

I have used bash a lot (it's not that different from DOS, which I also used quite a bit.) Based on this page, you'd probably have to write a bash script or else tweak CMakeLists.txt to build for NaCl:

https://developer.chrome.com/native-clie...e/building

Not sure how hard this is or isn't...

-[Unknown]
06-28-2015, 07:06 PM
(06-22-2015 11:53 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  
(06-22-2015 06:24 PM)Ryoutarou97 Wrote:  I can't post links so you get to read this instead

Haha, sorry about that. This forum gets a lot of spam, and this restriction theoretically makes it less attractive for spammers.

(06-22-2015 06:24 PM)Ryoutarou97 Wrote:  Compiling directly requires dev mode so a no go sadly, but I did get the NaCl Dev Env bash console working. Now one more problem. Bash is hard. I do not understand it in the least. well, a bit, but not really. I'll keep looking into it, but in the meantime do you know anything about how to use NaCl or Bash? Also, which version should I try to compile with NaCl?

I would try the latest git against NaCl. I've never used NaCl before but it might be similar to the build instructions:

I have used bash a lot (it's not that different from DOS, which I also used quite a bit.) Based on this page, you'd probably have to write a bash script or else tweak CMakeLists.txt to build for NaCl:

Not sure how hard this is or isn't...

-[Unknown]

I've been trying and can't really get it to work, and I was wondering, do you know which version of PPSSPP if any are made is C++ or C or which languages each is made in? Should I try to NaCl (it's a verb now) the linux version or android or is only one on git? I've never reallly used it before, so sorry for the ineptitude.
06-28-2015, 07:27 PM
PPSSPP is almost entirely C++, and it's only got one core that's used on all platforms. There are Java (for Android) and Objective-C (for iOS) parts but they are very small. These just tie things in to the OS. Linux is 100% C/C++.

And yes, everything is in git - although some of the code is in ppsspp, and some of the code is in ppsspp/native which is technically a different repo (but both of these are C++.)

So, I think going from Linux is probably the easier route. There are two linux versions, one that uses a C library called "SDL" and another that uses "Qt". Both are used to integrate with the OS, SDL is the simpler version I think.

-[Unknown]
06-28-2015, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2015 08:00 PM by Ryoutarou97.)
(06-28-2015 07:27 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  PPSSPP is almost entirely C++, and it's only got one core that's used on all platforms. There are Java (for Android) and Objective-C (for iOS) parts but they are very small. These just tie things in to the OS. Linux is 100% C/C++.

And yes, everything is in git - although some of the code is in ppsspp, and some of the code is in ppsspp/native which is technically a different repo (but both of these are C++.)

So, I think going from Linux is probably the easier route. There are two linux versions, one that uses a C library called "SDL" and another that uses "Qt". Both are used to integrate with the OS, SDL is the simpler version I think.

-[Unknown]

Right, I guess I'll try to get SDL set up first, then. It's a seperate install, right? Then I'll try to embed PPSSPP in an HTML document because that's to the best of my understanding how this works. Thanks for all the help so far, by the way.

I went to the Github page and... what? What do I- What is- What? What is all this? Which ones do I need for the Linux version?
06-29-2015, 01:21 AM
Well, here's a guide:
http://lifehacker.com/5983680/how-the-he...use-github

If you're new to programming it might take a bit of tinkering but it's not that crazy. What you want to do is "clone" the repository, which essentially means download it. You want most all of the files, which cloning will get all at once for you.

Maybe these things might help?

http://skycocker.github.io/chromebrew/
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/dev...-os-device

-[Unknown]