Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Moga Pocket Controller in PPSSPP
04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Moga Pocket Controller in PPSSPP
Hey,

I wanna play some MHFU on my Sony Xperia Z2.
But since this game requires somewhat precised movements I really need to get a cheap Adroid controller.

So I saw on the PPSSPP website, that the Moga controllers are supported.

But I never heard about that from any user.

-Some are saying that you can't use the 2nd stick as the D-Pad.

-Some are saying you need to root your phone in order to be able to use the analog-stick as a "real" stick and not just as something that can output only 4 directions, like a D-Pad.

And many other mapping problems.

So my question:

Did that change? Can I get myself a Moga Pocket without concerning about not getting it working with PPSSPP like I would like to?

(I would like to use the left stick as the PSP's analog and the left stick as the PSP's D-Pad.)

Thanks in advance and sorry for spelling mistakes! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 06:40 PM
RE: Moga Pocket Controller in PPSSPP
The Moga Pocket only works in A Mode which limits it's usage to applications that provide support for it. You can use a 3rd party HID driver for it, but they have their own issues. Plus I have the Moga Pocket and upgraded to the Moga Hero. The analog sticks on the Pocket are not real sticks at all. They are pads which slide around. The Moga Hero has real sticks and a D-pad and provides native B(Hid) mode. I've had no issues using the Hero Pad for PPSSPP.
04-28-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 08:03 PM by MonHanMan.)
Yeah, I already realized that these are more like "Slide Pads" (like the PSP got one, just even cheaper and smaller).
I know that the Hero is MUCH better overall, but I need something cheap, and really small, that fits into my pocket.

What limitations will I have with the Pocket since you told me that it's limited to apps that provide support for it?

Is PPSSPP one of the supported apps? Smile
04-28-2015, 09:56 PM
(04-28-2015 07:52 PM)MonHanMan Wrote:  Yeah, I already realized that these are more like "Slide Pads" (like the PSP got one, just even cheaper and smaller).
I know that the Hero is MUCH better overall, but I need something cheap, and really small, that fits into my pocket.

What limitations will I have with the Pocket since you told me that it's limited to apps that provide support for it?

Is PPSSPP one of the supported apps? Smile

PPSSPP supports it sure, but I've found the A-mode to be limiting in configuration.
04-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Ok, and what does A-Mode/B-Mode mean?
And what limitations do I have?
04-29-2015, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:48 PM by fivefeet8.)
(04-29-2015 12:35 PM)MonHanMan Wrote:  Ok, and what does A-Mode/B-Mode mean?
And what limitations do I have?

A-mode is the proprietary mode for Moga controllers which require software to be programmed to support it. It allows the triggers(on the larger controllers) to work better with the software as many applications in native HID modes don't detect the triggers(not shoulder buttons) properly. I've found that the triggers don't get detected properly in Windows with native HID drivers too.

B-mode is the native Android HID mode. It doesn't require software to be programmed for it as the controller gets detected as a HID device(even on Windows), but the compatibility with using the triggers are a bit hit and miss.
04-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I did some research and informed myself a little more...

I would be able to use the 3rd-party App, but the Analog sticks are just really analog when your smartphone is rooted so you can set it to a virtual gamepad and not only keyboard. With the keyboard mode you will only have 2 D-pads.

I would really wanna get the Hero Power but it isn't available in my country.
Importing would be too expensive.

I'll maybe root my Xperia Z2, but I never rooted a smartphone so it will be a lot of reading till I can do it.