Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yabause Android Sega Saturn emulation with OpenGLes3
04-19-2015, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 05:08 AM by fivefeet8.)
Yabause Android Sega Saturn emulation with OpenGLes3
http://forums.yabause.org/index.php?topic=1323.120

Looks like Sega Saturn emulation on Android just got a nice kick in the pants. Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon are incredibly smooth for the early work they've done with OpenGLes3 render path.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2015, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 01:45 PM by Terminator.)
RE: Yabause Android Sega Saturn emulation with OpenGLes3
I tried running this on kitkat last week, and it crashed instantly. I asked the dev and he said it will only work on lollipop 5.0 because of the use of opengl 3.0.

I hope future builds get implemented into RetroArch at some point.

I wonder how fast resident evil 1 works... And if it supports games that take 4mb cartridges like Final Fight: Revenge.
04-20-2015, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 02:08 PM by fivefeet8.)
(04-20-2015 01:44 PM)Terminator Wrote:  I tried running this on kitkat last week, and it crashed instantly. I asked the dev and he said it will only work on lollipop 5.0 because of the use of opengl 3.0.

I wonder how fast resident evil 1 works... And if it supports games that take 4mb cartridges like Final Fight: Revenge.

Resident Evil 1 (E) works with the emulator. Runs fullspeed, but has some rendering issues. Doesn't affect gameplay though. The emulator still crashes at times with Lollipop on my Nvidia Shield tablet.

The main github changes to Yabause are included in Retroarch Nightly builds, but it doesn't have the OpenGLes3 render changes yet.
04-20-2015, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 02:33 PM by Terminator.)
(04-20-2015 02:05 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 01:44 PM)Terminator Wrote:  I tried running this on kitkat last week, and it crashed instantly. I asked the dev and he said it will only work on lollipop 5.0 because of the use of opengl 3.0.

Resident Evil 1 (E) works with the emulator. Runs fullspeed, but has some rendering issues. Doesn't affect gameplay though. The emulator still crashes at times with Lollipop on my Nvidia Shield tablet.

The main github changes to Yabause are included in Retroarch Nightly builds, but it doesn't have the OpenGLes3 render changes yet.

Can you try running FF Revenge? and SF Alpha 3? both use the extra 4mb ram.
04-20-2015, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 09:18 PM by fivefeet8.)
Here's a video I made of the OpenGLes3 render path running Resident Evil (E) on my Shield Tablet.

04-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Wow, running so much faster than the retroarch core! This oengles 3.0 + the NvS has increased performance a ton.
04-20-2015, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 09:18 PM by fivefeet8.)
(04-20-2015 08:42 PM)Terminator Wrote:  Wow, running so much faster than the retroarch core! This oengles 3.0 + the NvS has increased performance a ton.

Here running Panzer Dragoon 2 Zwei. Smile

04-21-2015, 12:57 AM
Man, im tempted to upgrade to lollipop just for this new yabause.
04-21-2015, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2015 03:05 PM by fivefeet8.)
Nights Special Xmas Edition (J).

Someone requested this game on youtube.

(04-20-2015 02:33 PM)Terminator Wrote:  Can you try running FF Revenge? and SF Alpha 3? both use the extra 4mb ram.

There is an updated APK linked on one of the newer videos from the developer on his youtube channel that has the option for the RAM Carts. I tried several 4Mb Ram Cart required games and they all crashed the emulator or didn't recognize it.

On the bright side, Bulk Slash works amazingly well.
04-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Interface and controller support seems to have gone in that version. Will wait for a new updated apk. Can't wait to finally boot up FF Revenge. It only recently got working with mame 0.58. But I'm still unable to get it working on RA mame. Plus my PC is slow to run mame.
06-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Question RE: Yabause Android Sega Saturn emulation with OpenGLes3
Hi guys,
Can anyone explain to me why Yabause now only runs on Lollipop? You say it’s because of opengl 3.0…? I have opengl 3.0. enabled on Kit Kat and other emu’s which require this to work (e.g. Dolphin emulator) run fine so what is the problem, I cannot understand why the developer would limit this to just lollipop?

Are there plans to change this eventually or not?
Kind regards.
06-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm sure the author will resolve the issue sooner or later, but there's been few developments the past few weeks unfortunately.
06-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Cheers for the response fivefeet8 its much appreciated,
Just out of interest does anyone know the easiest way to contact the developer to ask him a few questions about the emu...?
06-02-2015, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2015 07:17 PM by fivefeet8.)
(06-02-2015 06:41 AM)Spacecowboy-888 Wrote:  Cheers for the response fivefeet8 its much appreciated,
Just out of interest does anyone know the easiest way to contact the developer to ask him a few questions about the emu...?

He has a Youtube account which he has used to show some previous development videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/smiyax7373

You can also ask questions on his Github Repo for his Yabause Android Fork.

https://github.com/devmiyax/yabause

Don't expect him to answer quick though.
A new video from the developer showing Async Rendering in Yabause. No apk to test with yet, but it's exciting the see progress for Sega Saturn emulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og11R6-b_T4
07-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Dev's now released his branch on Google Play Smile

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...se.android