Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible Support For CFW Plugins?
04-09-2015, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 11:37 PM by Anubis2048.)
Question Possible Support For CFW Plugins?
Hello guys, I was wondering if there will ever be plugin support for PPSSPP. I only ask because I plan on making PSP game exploits for the Ps Vita, and you need a PSP with CFW to test games. So, is there any way to get PRX files working in PPSSPP? I know some PSP games come with plugins built in... Could I create a custom ISO of a game that has the plugins I require?

- Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: Possible Support For CFW Plugins?
Seriously? -.- Not a single person can reply? Somebody has to know something...
04-10-2015, 03:41 PM
It is possible to support them, but most of them use kernel functions or features of the PSP that PPSSPP doesn't support.

Generally, PPSSPP only supports user-mode functionality, so when you start trying to mess with kernel ram (which PSP games can't do), replace syscalls (which PSP games can't do), or access other protected resources (which PSP games can't do), things don't work properly.

There's actually a ton of kernel-only functionality and libraries that would have to be implemented. It's a lot of work.

You can look at this branch:
https://github.com/unknownbrackets/ppssp...ts/plugins

Or you can just load the modules directly by modifying the ELF. However, they still won't work if they're kernel modules, which a lot of the PSP cfw modules seem to be.

-[Unknown]
04-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Thank you for the reply... Well, this is just another reason to completely emulate the PSP XMB and various other functions of a real PSP. Hopefully plugin support is implemented in the future.
04-10-2015, 07:48 PM
The XMB has significantly more things that again, are not used by games or even plugins. From my perspective, it just looks like a huge waste of time. It doesn't help that I think the XMB is not a very good user interface.

So, I'll tell you right now I have pretty near zero interest in spending the time to get the XMB working. Just personally. In any case, plugins certainly aren't going to motivate me to make any effort on the XMB.

But if you want to spend all your free time on it because you love it, feel free. As long as it's an option or something it probably would be considered as a pull request.

-[Unknown]
04-10-2015, 11:00 PM
I don't see why emulating the XMB would be such a bad idea and not being worth the effort... I mean, if you are dedicated to making PSP games run on PPSSPP, why not emulate the user interface as well? Doing so would yield greater compatibility. The closer the emulator is to the real thing, the more likely it will be compatible with games for the real thing.

The PSP is not the usual console that you would emulate. While most other consoles, like the PS2, you would only want games, because that's all it ever did, and it wasn't too advanced, but the PSP is different. The PSP was hacked beyond belief and modified in many ways. Part of the gaming experience was the user interface on the PSP, along with CFW and plugins. If you have owned and hacked a PSP, you will know what I mean.

This is why I think that the XMB should be implemented, along with plugin support. If you are going to dedicate yourself to something like this, I'd think that you would want to emulate everything while you're at it... Without the XMB and plugins, it just isn't the same.
04-11-2015, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 12:27 PM by vnctdj.)
Emulating the XMB ? It reminds me of this thread...

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
04-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I have read other topics about it, but the same excuse is always thrown up. "Not worth the time, I hate it".

I mean, a ton of people want the XMB for nostalgic value. And the XMB isn't such a bad interface anyways. Of course it isn't meant for touch, but if you are actually planning on using PPSSPP to replace a real PSP, you're going to use some sort of controller.

Again, this is just my opinion. I just wish somebody would bring the XMB or ANYTHING like it to PPSSPP, to be honest, the PPSSPP menu is 100x more confusing than the PSP one.
04-11-2015, 08:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 08:49 PM by [Unknown].)
If a ton of people want it, why aren't a ton of people implementing it? Just because me and Henrik aren't interested doesn't mean you can't.

I remember when I first learned to program. I did have the Internet (when I could get time on the shared computer), which was a huge help. My web browser could either view a page, or download a file (both very slowly.) It couldn't do both at the same time. And there were a lot less websites out there about programming.

If you have a mobile phone or even more, your own desktop computer or (wow) a laptop, guess what? It's like ridiculously easier for you to learn to program than it was for me. Bonus points if you use a web browser that can download code samples at the same time as viewing a page and reading about them.

So why don't you do it, along with your army of tons of people? It's there waiting for you. Asking for your help.

-[Unknown]
04-12-2015, 01:28 AM
I would love to do it, I'm more than willing to, but will is not the issue here. I do not know how to code... I mean, I am wonderful at coding in JavaScript, but something tells me that the PSP does not run on that in any way shape or form.

I do know how to manipulate assembly instructions in the RAM of a real PSP, but that is nothing compared to what I need to know how do to when porting the XMB to PPSSPP, as you have said, it would require a ton of new shit to be written for PPSSPP, just to be able to run the standard XMB.

Ironically enough, you would need plugin support to do so....

Do not think that I don't appreciate the work you guys put in, I really do, I just wish some people that do possess the knowledge to implement stuff like this. Learning C is not easy, I have tried it multiple times and always given up. It's a lot to take in.. And something also tells me that the PSP is mostly written in assembly, so it would require me to learn that too.

Sigh... I guess I just have to hope someone else will do it, I love the XMB, but not enough to learn C and Assembly just to implement it.
04-12-2015, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 12:48 PM by Inuyashaya.)
(04-12-2015 01:28 AM)Anubis2048 Wrote:  I would love to do it, I'm more than willing to, but will is not the issue here. I do not know how to code... I mean, I am wonderful at coding in JavaScript, but something tells me that the PSP does not run on that in any way shape or form.

I do know how to manipulate assembly instructions in the RAM of a real PSP, but that is nothing compared to what I need to know how do to when porting the XMB to PPSSPP, as you have said, it would require a ton of new shit to be written for PPSSPP, just to be able to run the standard XMB.

Ironically enough, you would need plugin support to do so....

Do not think that I don't appreciate the work you guys put in, I really do, I just wish some people that do possess the knowledge to implement stuff like this. Learning C is not easy, I have tried it multiple times and always given up. It's a lot to take in.. And something also tells me that the PSP is mostly written in assembly, so it would require me to learn that too.

Sigh... I guess I just have to hope someone else will do it, I love the XMB, but not enough to learn C and Assembly just to implement it.

If i understand correctly: you want that XMB be implemented but dont want to code it yourself?, LOL we are not the ones who decides if X feature will be on or not. We just suggest, if the Programmers think is a good idea for their program they just add it, if they dont want to add it, Cause think is really annoying and dont want to do it, then just need do it yourself. I mean, why wait for someone do what you want? xD Life dont work that way. Wathever i just want that the PPSSPP leave me play games is a console after all not a PC

♥Join US ♥ party on EVOLVEHQ for ALL MonsterHunters English:

https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/party?token=player:FIlZsoO7VtIqC2x1,party:L5fuksYOCYQWJh_i

♫Status♪ Yuu-Eucliwood Tittles: → Perfect Against Chickens ← ►Kaiser of Heaven&Earth◄
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-19-2015, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 05:38 PM by Anubis2048.)
The demand for XMB support exists, so it will happen eventually, just not soon.

In the Ps Vita scene where exploiting the PSP emulator is common, the PSP XMB is considered the holy grail when it comes to getting homebrew support, let alone ISO CSO support.

It's kinda sad that it's the exact opposite here.