Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Screen turning black every particle that appears
03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Screen turning black every particle that appears
Hey there, I'm having issues with ppsspp
I have a Oneplus One and I installed the emulator and all works just fine
The game as example here is "Ratcher & Clank - Size Matters"
The problem is when I use "Non-buffered rendering", whenever I hit the ground for example, the particles that appear from the ground make the screen turn black for the particle time and when the particle fades the screen comes back on
I usually use the "Buffered rendering" whenever i come across missions where there are way too many particles, but when i buffer, the game is very bad looking and looks like graphics from nintendo
So mostly i play without buffering, the quality is fantastic, the speed is amazing no lag AT ALL
It's all great, but when it comes to little particles the screen just flickers and its annoying, its still playable but if there is a way to fix it please tell me
It's pretty much the same with other games like "Secret agent Clank" or "Daxter"
Here are my settings so you can have a better idea :
Frameskipping - off
Prevent FPS from exceeding 60 - check
Features TAB - off
Performance TAB - all check and curves quality - High
Texture scalling and filtering - both off
Google TAB - off
Hack settings TAB :
Disable alpha test - check
Texture coord speedhack - check , rest all uncheck
Latest 2 TABS - uncheck
SYSTEM
Emulation TAB - All check except for "force real clock sync" ( I/0 timing - fast ) ( PSP's CPU clock - 0 )
The rest is irrelevant
DEVELOPERS TOOLS
Only Dynarec ( JIT ) - check

And that's abut it, i have found those to be the best settings to play games on my device, without lag, smooth, nice graphics and just awesome
The only problem is I have to wait sometimes a couple of seconds for the particles to dissapear and the screen to be back on so if anybody can help me with that i would appreciate

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: Screen turning black every particle that appears
Unfortunately, non-buffered mode will cause rendering issues where buffered rendering wont. You can increase your rendering resolution to 4x and the buffered rendering will be high resolution like non-buffered, but it will be more performance hungry and you may need frameskipping to compensate.
03-12-2015, 02:13 PM
(03-12-2015 01:39 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  Unfortunately, non-buffered mode will cause rendering issues where buffered rendering wont. You can increase your rendering resolution to 4x and the buffered rendering will be high resolution like non-buffered, but it will be more performance hungry and you may need frameskipping to compensate.

Hmm i tried buffered with 4x and 5x rendering resolution + auto frameskipping
it seems okay the only problem is there is too much light, like when the rendering starts there goes a light over the screen and the screen is very bright
post processing shader didn't help nor any of the other features on that tab
is there a setting for that or something ?
03-12-2015, 06:35 PM
"Non-buffered rendering" is, in other words, "Ignore when the game tries to use buffers for effects." It prevents effects from being applied and renders faster (because there's no buffers - no copying things around), but well, it prevents effects from being applied.

The brightness you're talking about is caused by bloom. Without going into detail about how bloom works, it's an effect games intentionally apply to make things look better - and it works great. However, most PSP games (as shocking as this may be) were designed only for the resolution of the PSP device - and so when they do effects like bloom, they do them in ways that don't always work at resolutions the PSP was not capable of (that is, any resolution except 1x.) So basically, the PSP game you are playing was designed to have "graphics from Nintendo".

There's a hack in the settings that tries to detect bloom, specifically, and prevent this problem. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to detect it correctly in all games. I think the setting is called "Lower resolution for effects (reduces artifacts)". It may also cause some other parts of the game to reduce in quality (since sometimes it thinks other effects are bloom when they are not.)

-[Unknown]
03-12-2015, 06:59 PM
(03-12-2015 06:35 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  "Non-buffered rendering" is, in other words, "Ignore when the game tries to use buffers for effects." It prevents effects from being applied and renders faster (because there's no buffers - no copying things around), but well, it prevents effects from being applied.

The brightness you're talking about is caused by bloom. Without going into detail about how bloom works, it's an effect games intentionally apply to make things look better - and it works great. However, most PSP games (as shocking as this may be) were designed only for the resolution of the PSP device - and so when they do effects like bloom, they do them in ways that don't always work at resolutions the PSP was not capable of (that is, any resolution except 1x.) So basically, the PSP game you are playing was designed to have "graphics from Nintendo".

There's a hack in the settings that tries to detect bloom, specifically, and prevent this problem. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to detect it correctly in all games. I think the setting is called "Lower resolution for effects (reduces artifacts)". It may also cause some other parts of the game to reduce in quality (since sometimes it thinks other effects are bloom when they are not.)

-[Unknown]

Yeah i already tried that option it doesn't help at all
Funny thing i found is that this "too bright screen" was actually on one map but on other it seems to be fine
So i guess the problem was the map not the settings
Another problem i've stumbled across is some maps aren't rendering AT ALL
literally i can't see the screen, its either completely black with no buffering or completely white with buffering
its completely black because the particles are constantly appearing
and completely white have no idea why
so far i've managed to make those lvl's blindly as i already have beaten the game on my psp like 20 times
but just wondering if there is anyway to help those lvls ?

aswell this reducing artifacts was grey before i wanted to try it out, now it appeared to be available from nowhere for non buffer render
03-12-2015, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2015 11:48 PM by The Phoenix.)
Hi there,

Unknown has told you how to bypass the bloom (White screens), it sounded to me, play the game on Buffered rendering mode, until a bloom level appears, then change resolution down to default PSP (1 x PSP), that will make game playable to clear the bad level, once you go back into a good level again, increase resolution again.

Update: if the above doesn't work on its own, try checking (ticking) - Lower resolution for effects (reduces artifacts) found in the hacks section to On, and try again.

Hope that helps.
04-12-2015, 07:12 PM
post processing shader didn't help nor any of the other features on that tab
is there a setting for that or something ?