The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 795 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 795 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
Hello!

Many other deadzone-related threads state that while the real PSP does not limit the analog nub input, most games impose a deadzone of around 50%. Makes sense with the real analog joystick being so small.

BUT on Android/ IOS we can actually make the analog touchscreen area as big as the screen allows... and then the internal 50% deadzone can be large if you have a tablet.

SO why not make a setting that would let the user define the "starting saturation" of the touchscreen analog. Like putting the finger in the center would not send 0% to the game, but, say, 25% or 30%, and go from there if the finger is moved.. This way the deadzone would be reduced. Naturally this should be a setting that would be saved in the PPSSPP per-game-configWink.

This idea came to me when I upscaled the analog graphic 2x, and expected more precision from my 2x larger input... and ended up with a 2x bigger deadzone Wink making the control pretty much useless.

I might be wrong, but this seems like a relatively simple programming task? It's one of these moments that I regret not being a programmer myselfSmile.

PS. Now that I think about it, there could be an option for a floating analog, too, like most touchscreen fps games have... but that does not sound that simple anymore. So for now I'd be happy just with a "center touchscreen analog value" setting as described above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone - Elwood - 03-05-2015 07:48 AM