Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
03-05-2015, 07:48 AM
An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
Hello!

Many other deadzone-related threads state that while the real PSP does not limit the analog nub input, most games impose a deadzone of around 50%. Makes sense with the real analog joystick being so small.

BUT on Android/ IOS we can actually make the analog touchscreen area as big as the screen allows... and then the internal 50% deadzone can be large if you have a tablet.

SO why not make a setting that would let the user define the "starting saturation" of the touchscreen analog. Like putting the finger in the center would not send 0% to the game, but, say, 25% or 30%, and go from there if the finger is moved.. This way the deadzone would be reduced. Naturally this should be a setting that would be saved in the PPSSPP per-game-configWink.

This idea came to me when I upscaled the analog graphic 2x, and expected more precision from my 2x larger input... and ended up with a 2x bigger deadzone Wink making the control pretty much useless.

I might be wrong, but this seems like a relatively simple programming task? It's one of these moments that I regret not being a programmer myselfSmile.

PS. Now that I think about it, there could be an option for a floating analog, too, like most touchscreen fps games have... but that does not sound that simple anymore. So for now I'd be happy just with a "center touchscreen analog value" setting as described above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2015, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 04:29 PM by vnctdj.)
RE: An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
Which version of PPSSPP are you using ?
Some new settings related to dead zones have been introduced recently, you can try the latest git build, it's available here Smile
However, I'm not sure these options are available on mobile devices, maybe only for Windows at the moment...

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
03-05-2015, 07:34 PM
RE: An idea for customizable touchscreen analog deadzone
I am using the latest git version. There is an option at the end of the Controls menu that is called "Analog limiter" but I think the value only applies to physical phone buttons or gamepads that have been mapped to analog inputs (it is in the "Keyboard control setting" section). It does not change the behavior of the touchscreen analog deadzone, which is what I'm talking about.

On the bright side, there is an option that I have previously overlooked - "auto centering analog stick" which actually is a working floating analog nub! Of course it MIGHT be even better if it worked anywhere in the screen - right now it is functioning within the defined area of the analog - but I love it anyway!

SO with the option to adjust the touchscreen analog deadzone it would all be perfect Smile