Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problems with smoothing.
02-06-2015, 12:38 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 12:39 AM by Paonsol.)
Problems with smoothing.
Hey folks

So I'm wondering what's causing this (picture 1 down there):

To change into this (picture 2 down there):

If I change the texture settings or post-processing, it smooths everything out like that, but if I move on the menus, it all becomes jagged like in the second picture.

It's going jagged and immediately *trying* to smooth it out sometimes when I navigate the menu, but only for a little while until it just gives up and stays stuck looking pixelated.

Any ideas how to fix this so it stays smooth?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2015, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 01:04 AM by [Unknown].)
RE: Problems with smoothing.
The problem is that the game starts changing the texture frequently (e.g. while you scroll or something.) When PPSSPP notices it doing this, it realizes that it can't keep processing the texture that often or it will give you ~2 FPS or something. So, it simply gives up and stops.

Possibly, it could try again sooner, but it's hard to get this right in a way that doesn't give ridiculously bad performance in some game or another.

Ultimately you have to pick one of these:
* Accept that sometimes graphics won't be scaled.
* Accept that sometimes you'll get unplayable FPS unless you use _very_ powerful computer and use conservative scaling settings.
* Accept that sometimes graphics won't update (especially e.g. panning/scrolling), but will at least always be scaled.

We've picked the first one.

-[Unknown]
02-06-2015, 01:18 AM
(02-06-2015 01:03 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  We've picked the first one.

Ah, hmm.

Well, that's probably the best choice in general, but it would be nice with an experimental additional option that tried to force it or some such. I have a pretty strong computer, so maybe it could work.

Though if it's just going to swap back between pixelated and smoothed out like it does when I scroll the menu sometimes, it probably wouldn't actually look better anyway...

Thanks for the reply.
02-06-2015, 01:40 AM
Are you able to compile it (it's pretty easy to do so and Visual Studio is free)? If so, I can tell you what code to change and we can see if it'd be worth it.

I have a Core i7 Ivy 3.4 Ghz CPU, which is definitely on the high end still, and an NVIDIA 9800 GT, which is definitely on the low end now. I'm sure I could get away with it being a bit more aggressive in some games, but there are a bunch of games where I'd get unplayable FPS in certain sequences/areas if it scaled all textures.

By the way, it also has a limit on the number of pixels it will scale within a frame. If you have a powerful CPU you can probably handle a higher number, which will reduce how often you see pixelated graphics for a few frames.

-[Unknown]
02-06-2015, 02:20 AM
(02-06-2015 01:40 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Are you able to compile it (it's pretty easy to do so and Visual Studio is free)? If so, I can tell you what code to change and we can see if it'd be worth it.

I unfortunately don't know much about that. :p

As for my specs, I have an i7 4820k overclocked to 4.5ghz and a GTX 780.