Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My save states vanished
01-13-2015, 03:29 AM
My save states vanished
Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me, I really appreciate it. I am playing Final Fantasy IV on the latest ppsspp build 0.9.9.1. After saving my game last night and closing the app; I ran it today and none of my save states from yesterday are there. I'd like to know if I can get them back or at least prevent it from happening in the future. I read the "Wherz all My Stuff" thread but couldn't find anything that would directly help me here. I am running Parallels with windows 7 on my Mac.

Thanks;
Matt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: My save states vanished
Double check that you didn't run out of disk space. The savestates will normally be in the same folder as PPSSPP inside a folder named "Memstick", then "PSP", and then "PPSSPP_STATE". Are there any files in there?

Also, if you run out of disk space or other bad things happen, the latest git build is a lot less likely to silently nuke your builds. Hopefully that isn't what happened, though.

-[Unknown]
01-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the response unknown.

I have looked in those directories and the save state directory is empty.

Not sure if this is relevant but; My FFIV got hung up at a cg cutscene and I had to upgrade my version to prevent it from crashing. So the new version was working fine. I had some issues with the old version and the read only directory in My Docs so I moved the dir to the desktop. I did not delete the old version yet in case I had to use it again so I have those saves but they are 15 hours of gameplay ago.

I believe this is the first time I closed out the new ppsspp application and now upon restart my saves are gone. Can they be someplace else?

If I use my old saves and go back there its not the end of the world, frustrating yes, but how can I make sure this does not happen again.

I Have tried testing it out and even now copying my saves over to my macOS before closing.

Thansk again for your assistance.
01-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Well, you can search all files for "*.ppst" using Windows or Mac search, to see if they're anywhere. Did you use ingame saves? Those would be under PSP, then SAVEDATA. It's better to use those than savestates, they can be safer.

The latest git builds, which will soon be released as a new stable version, largely handle the situation better and more safely. v0.9.9.1 (current stable version) was released several months ago before these updates were made.

Backups are always a good idea. I once lost a lot of savedata I had on a 32x PS1 memory stick. I didn't have any other copies... been paranoid ever since.

-[Unknown]
01-13-2015, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2015 08:07 PM by madaxes.)
Ok thanks

I did a search already for .ppst extensions and did not find any of the ones I lost. and I always save in-game before I save state unless I can't but that file was missing too. When I am done playing I will copy and paste the 0-4 save states on my mac as a backup.

Do I need to remove older versions and folders of ppsspp? I thought that may be part of the problem, but the old saves weren't overwritten.

Thanks
01-13-2015, 08:13 PM
No, as long as it can create files in the same directory as PPSSPP, it will only save there. If it runs out of disk space there, or can't write (for example if it's in Program Files), it will try to save in My Documents instead.

-[Unknown]
01-13-2015, 08:26 PM
ok thanks

seems like mine are gone forever.

I will def back up from now on

I appreciate your help, greatly.

-Matt