Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strange gaming performance in Monster Hunter 3rd HD
01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Strange gaming performance in Monster Hunter 3rd HD
The game goes on maximum possible FPS - 30 (in all locations including the village), but sometimes the FPS drops to 26 or rises above than it should be up to 35. And this is happening no matter what happens on the screen. I can fight with a couple of big monsters and FPS will be 30 or stand and stare at the wall and the FPS will be 26.

Device - iPhone 6 iOS 8.1 jailed.
Using the latest version from the official PPSSP repository - Dev Latest v0.9.9.1-1437-g33f31b0. On all other versions including common 0.9.9.1 had the same performance as described above.

Sorry for my english , it's not my native language.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2015, 06:14 PM
RE: Strange gaming performance in Monster Hunter 3rd HD
Is it a stable 26? Or a stable 35? I don't think it should ever stay a stable 35.

Note that sometimes if it drops frames it may gain frames. The faster your device, the more stable the fps will be.

I will say, there are cases where games (on a psp) don't run at 100% speed, and drop a few frames. Probably this does not happen in that game, but I don't have it to find out. Does this same thing happen in other games?

-[Unknown]
01-11-2015, 07:52 PM
MH3rd should be 30fps nonstop. At least that's how it works on my PC.
Guess its phone related thing, try to use some speedhacks or non buffered rendering. If none of those help then its either the phones fault or PPSSPP isn't so optimized for iOS.
01-11-2015, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 09:42 PM by Vitkarus.)
(01-11-2015 06:14 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Is it a stable 26? Or a stable 35? I don't think it should ever stay a stable 35.

Note that sometimes if it drops frames it may gain frames. The faster your device, the more stable the fps will be.

I will say, there are cases where games (on a psp) don't run at 100% speed, and drop a few frames. Probably this does not happen in that game, but I don't have it to find out. Does this same thing happen in other games?

-[Unknown]

(01-11-2015 07:52 PM)GamerzHell9137 Wrote:  MH3rd should be 30fps nonstop. At least that's how it works on my PC.
Guess its phone related thing, try to use some speedhacks or non buffered rendering. If none of those help then its either the phones fault or PPSSPP isn't so optimized for iOS.

Maybe it is difficult to understand in words, so I took the video.

Link (please write before it https:// because I do not have enough posts to embed clickable links):
drive.google.com/open?id=0B55PDgbHbK5RbldnRUFwdnAycWs&authuser=0

In the video, I run the game in two modes:
1) Buffered mode with Auto 1:1 resolution and Bloom shader
2) Unbuffered mode

And you can see that the performance is the same in both cases, although it should be otherwise. That was my question, how can I fix it? Undecided

By the way, even if I set the resolution to x5 and enable Bloom shader I get 20-22 fps in the village, so I do not think that this is a problem with the performance of my phone and it should normally run the game in unbuffred mode.
01-11-2015, 10:01 PM
(01-11-2015 09:23 PM)Vitkarus Wrote:  so I do not think that this is a problem with the performance of my phone and it should normally run the game in unbuffred mode

Well not a problem with your phones GPU at least. I mean you're on a non-jail-broken IPhone which I think means that you can't use the JIT. But I can't tell you whether that's the normal performance for that OS+processor combination, since I don't really have any experience with it.
01-11-2015, 10:04 PM
"Unbuffered" is a hack. It more correctly means "disable the game's ability to use buffers". I don't think anyone "should" ever use that option, unless they have no choice to get acceptable performance or somehow prefer the graphics without buffers (which may mean black screens or other glitches, depending on what the game tries to do with buffers that silently do not work.)

Temporary drops in fps can and does happen on some devices. It can be caused by background processes or the OS, but it can also be caused by things the emulator or game do that don't happen every frame. The faster the device is, the more stable it will be.

-[Unknown]
01-12-2015, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 09:02 PM by Vitkarus.)
(01-11-2015 10:04 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  "Unbuffered" is a hack. It more correctly means "disable the game's ability to use buffers". I don't think anyone "should" ever use that option, unless they have no choice to get acceptable performance or somehow prefer the graphics without buffers (which may mean black screens or other glitches, depending on what the game tries to do with buffers that silently do not work.)

Temporary drops in fps can and does happen on some devices. It can be caused by background processes or the OS, but it can also be caused by things the emulator or game do that don't happen every frame. The faster the device is, the more stable it will be.

-[Unknown]

Thanks for the explanation, but as I understand it, there's nothing I can do about it? Adjustment of the emulator's settings can't fix it? I have to wait for a more powerful version of the emulator, or dig into the OS to understand why it does not work properly in the emulator? It's sad because within a closed operating system (like iOS) it will be difficult or even impossible. Sad

(01-11-2015 10:01 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 09:23 PM)Vitkarus Wrote:  so I do not think that this is a problem with the performance of my phone and it should normally run the game in unbuffred mode

Well not a problem with your phones GPU at least. I mean you're on a non-jail-broken IPhone which I think means that you can't use the JIT. But I can't tell you whether that's the normal performance for that OS+processor combination, since I don't really have any experience with it.

No, of course I use Jit because my phone is jailbroken. And as I understand it may be the problem of CPU performance? If so, is it possible to transfer some of the load from the CPU to the GPU? Or simply reduce the load on the processor? Or it may be a problem with poorly adapted for IOS or 64 bit architecture and for my part I just can not help it?
01-12-2015, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2015 10:11 PM by Vitkarus.)
So I decided to measure CPU load in the XCode and that's what happened:

CPU load in PPSSPP
[attachment=13438]

CPU load in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS (official port)
[attachment=13439]

CPU load in Antutu benchmark
[attachment=13440]

Аnd as can see PPSSPP load CPU no more than Monster Hunter for iOS (that run perfectly) and especially does not load the system completely as Antutu. Now, I do not even know what conclusions can I do about this. Huh