Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[Tutorial][Android] Use a wiimote as a PPSSPP gamepad
05-02-2013, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 02:56 AM by AirGuardian.)
[Tutorial][Android] Use a wiimote as a PPSSPP gamepad
Works pretty well IMO:

This is an expanded version of the instructions in the video comment.

What do you need?
· PPSSPP (get Gold and support the developer)
· Wiimote (I'm using an ElCheapo™ Wiimote from GameStop)
· WiimoteController for Android
· A Bluetooth-Enabled Android Smartphone powerful enough to run PPSSPP.
* Please note that TouchWiz-enabled devices running Android 3.0 or less will not be able to pair with a Wiimote (thanks to user Livy for this tip). For these devices it is strongly advisable to use a non-Touchwiz ROM such as the CyanogenMod Series. If you don't know what the hell is a ROM or the name Cyanogen does not ring a bell, I recommend you to check out XDA-Developers and search for your device.

How does it work?
PPSSPP supports the hardware buttons in the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play! smartphone. Unfortunately, many of us do not have such buttons. But any Bluetooth controller does. In this case, we are going to use a Wiimote. It's cheap and easy to get anywhere from eBay to big chain stores.
Wiimote Controller is a little piece of software which allows to sync a Wiimote with your Android phone and use its buttons however you like. Download and install it from Google Play.

To put the Wiimote in "Visible mode" you must press the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time until the LED indicators on the wiimote start blinking. Follow the instructions in the WiimoteController App to link it. Basically is just tapping "1. Init and Connect" while the Wiimote is in Visible Mode and then press on "2. Select Wiimote IME".
For PPSSPP to "understand" the Wiimote, you have to remap the buttons in the App using the screen in [Press Menu] Preferences -> Mapping Options -> 1st Controller Mappings.

[Image: P35OG48.png] [Image: ZGIyWRO.png]

Now tap on each button in the list and select from the drop-down menu which "virtual key-press" do you want to send to PPSSPP when you press that button. You don't need to change Up, Down, Left or Right. Do as you find convenient for your favourite game or if playing Persona 3 Portable use the following as I did:
Button A as "Game Trigger R1 - XP R"
Button B as "Game Trigger R1 - XP L"
Button 1 as "D-pad center - XP X"
Button 2 as "Game Button B"
Button + as "Game Button Y - XP Triangle"
Button - as "Game Button X - XP Square"
HOME button as "Game Start Button - XP Start"

Once you have set up your controls and tested them, you can disable the button overlay in PPSSPP and enjoy full screen PSP gaming on your Android Smartphone.

Notes:
· In case you want to play Persona 3 on the Galaxy S3 properly, you must disable "Buffered Rendering" in the emulator options. And make sure your phone is not in the Energy Saving Mode or your processor speed will be capped and performance will be hindered.
· I dumped the Persona 3 Portable to an ISO file with my own PSP from the original game UMD. Please, do *NOT* ask me where to download PSP ISOs. It's against the forum rules. Ask Google.
· English is my second language, so expect some weird grammar in this post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 02:32 AM
RE: [Tutorial][Android] Use a wiimote as a PPSSPP gamepad
Wiimote support on Android is very poor. Devices with Touchwiz UI and Sense UI cannot be paired with a Wiimote. There are various other devices which cannot be paired as well.

I myself have a Remote+, but it refuses to work with both WiimoteController and Wii Controller IME.
05-03-2013, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 02:42 AM by AirGuardian.)
My Galaxy S3 has Touchwiz UI and pairs and works properly (only using Wiimote Controller or similar), as you may see on video. The ROM I'm using is Android Revolution HD 25.0 (based on Samsung Official Android 4.1.2).
05-03-2013, 02:47 AM
All devices with Samsung Touchwiz UI running on Android version lower than 3.0 won't work.
05-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Oh, that's a shame. I'll add that to the requirements list. Thank you.
05-22-2013, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 04:59 PM by zarles1.)
First of all:
Wow, that's suuper awesome! Thank a lot!

Just one question.
Trying to play MH and I totally need the buttons mapped differently but I don't have any clue what the thousands of mapping possibilities mean.
Is there a way to make it work like this:

PPSSPP | Wiimote

Analog Stick--------Nunchuck
L----------C-Button on Nunchuck
R------------Z-Button on Nunchuck
Circle--------------- A
X ---------------B
Square ---------- 1
Start----------2
Triangle-------------------+
Select----------------- -

?

You'd do me a huge favour - it would be a dream to play PSP games on the phone with controller.

Thanks man!

GT-I9300 | rooted | stock international 4.1.2 | overclocked on SiyahKernel s3-v1.9.1 (1,6 GHZ)|
05-23-2013, 03:26 AM
im like dual shock3 Smile
01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Hmm, I see no option to go to any menu in the Wiimote controller application. How do I get to it?
01-12-2015, 09:48 PM
How to use triple touch on PPSSPP Android..??
Please reply.....