Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Non-buffered rendering causing black screen
01-04-2015, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 02:38 AM by Mare11.)
Non-buffered rendering causing black screen
Hello everyone I just registered to share my problem because I couldn't find answer . So my problem is that when I Turn on non-buffered rendering I get only black screen in most of games I tried ( GTA : Libery City , DefJem, Harry Potter : Half blood prince, Silent Hill : Origins ... ) . However this is not case with Tekken 6 which is running steadly 60 fps with non-buffered rendering . I tried tweeking my setting in hundred of ways and it couldn't get it to run . I only get game playabe if I put resolution to 1xPSP (auto is lagging ) which makes graphic looks terrible. I found on Tekken 6 that graphic look 2x time better with non buffered rendering then buffered rendering and resolution of 1xPSP( which is only playble ) . I know my system is crap and I can't expect good graphic but I feel that game would look better and run better if I could manage to pull them in non-buffered rendering mode . I saw it breaks some games but not the most I guess ... Also I must point out that game is runing I hear sound and see fps counter but screen is black .

So some of my spec :
PPSSPP version : 0.9.9.1
PROCESSOR: Intel Celeron E3300 (Stock speed 2.5Ghz) overclocked to 3.0 Ghz
RAM : 2.5 GB of ram memory DDR2 speed around 300,400Mhz ( one stick of 2GB and other of 512MB )
GRAPHIC CARD : Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB with latest nvidia drivers version 307.83 (which is not changed for years I guess it's legacy support )

I hope someone will help me with this if there is a valid solution, thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 05:44 AM by vsub_.)
RE: Non-buffered rendering causing black screen
non-buffered rendering is a hack and is expected to have something to working correctly(including black screen on some games)

Phantasy Star Portable 2 shows black screen is non-buffered rendering is selected.
Also in non-buffered rendering,changing rendering resolution have no effect and the shaders don't work too.

And yes,some games look better in non-buffered rendering but some games just don't work with when it's selected.
Try lowering the cpu speed and see if you can get more speed and you can also try enabling the "disable slow effects" option
You can also try frame skipping with auto enabled

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
01-04-2015, 06:23 AM
I think the best way to make sense of this situation is to understand that the option disables the game's ability to use buffers. It's not some quality setting or something, you're making game functionality not work. Sometimes that means black screens - it depends on how much the game depends on buffers working.

It's kinda like, disabling the memory stick. Don't be shocked if you can't save anymore.

I know that's not too helpful when you want to get it working at best quality on your hardware, but it's just how it is.

-[Unknown]
01-04-2015, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 01:21 PM by Mare11.)
Thanks for info guys. Can any of you see if some of listed games work for them with non buffered rendering ? I am kinda sure it's only problem with my machine .

(01-04-2015 01:18 PM)Mare11 Wrote:  Thanks for info guys. Can any of you see if some of listed games work for them with non buffered rendering ? I am kinda sure it's only problem with my machine .

@vsub_ Can you suggest me some speeds? You mean in emulator right ? Or underclock my CPU ?
01-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes,the pppsspp cpu speed and it depends on the game but don't go below 80

Save Game\States Manager
01-04-2015, 08:57 PM
I saw on forum that recomanded is 222Mhz so you suggest lowering it more will increase performance ? With some tweaking I was able to play games I wanted in desired qulity this forum is really helpful thank you all guys for putting efforts in this emulator!
01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
You could say 222mhz is auto.
Lowering can either result in higher or lower game speed and no problems or to have problems(crashing\frezing\out of synch audio and so on...it depends on the game).

I cleared both GoW games on my old pc(p4 2.8ghz,6600gt,1gb ram)with 80 for cpu speed and some frame skipping and it was almost always at 30fps(the game has a mechanism to lower the internal speed automatically of the cpu is running at lower speed)

Save Game\States Manager
01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks for advise I will try to lower it but I am getting good performance in all games I want so Np