Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Difference Between DX9 and OpenGl
01-02-2015, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 05:23 PM by Levan.)
RE: Difference Between DX9 and OpenGl
(01-02-2015 04:53 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  For the longest time the OpenGL backend was the only renderer. The Direct3D one was only recently added because of some of the shitty OpenGL drivers on Windows.

The obvious reason is that OpenGL is available on all platforms whereas Direct3D is only available on Windows.

And the difference in performance shouldn't be big if people wrote decent drivers but AMD apparently does not want to or cannot spend those resources, so they decided to prioritize what most people use, Windows and D3D.

(01-02-2015 04:49 PM)cybercjt Wrote:  Also another good thing for D3D is it also supports low end / old gen GPU that doesn't support OP GL 2.0

... on Windows. Many of those devices have OpenGL 2.0 drivers on Linux, it's not always a hardware limitation, sometimes it's just software.

Wow thank you and every one else who replied, you have been huge help Smile

It is sad is not it that AMD has such pure support for every thing (even for windows drivers) On my linux pc I always stayed away from AMD hardware but now I think i will stay away from AMD even on my Windows pc Big Grin Even though i feel their hardware is really good and wary well priced
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Difference Between DX9 and OpenGl - Levan - 01-02-2015, 02:47 PM
RE: Difference Between DX9 and OpenGl - Levan - 01-02-2015 05:22 PM