Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MicroSDHC with Memory Stick Duo adapter: good idea?
01-02-2015, 08:31 PM
RE: MicroSDHC with Memory Stick Duo adapter: good idea?
Well, like I said, that's *very* simplified. But generally, it's true for any storage medium or filesystem (FAT, NTFS, etc.)

It can vary by filesystem type, though. For example, often files are all assigned numbers (called "inodes"), and then directories are actually basically text files that just say "I contain the following inodes, and call them these things:". Also, it's perfectly possible for the data of a file (or even directory, if it has enough files inside it) to be "fragmented", i.e. for pieces of it to be in different places on the disk not even anywhere near each other.

So, if you had a video file that was 200 MB on a dual micro SD thing like this (or on RAID 0 in a PC, or etc.), it's possible for 100 MB of that to be on card #1 and 100 MB of it to be on card #2. And the table/index that even tells it how to put the pieces back together in what order is probably only on card #1, but the filename and what directory it's stored in might be in card #2.

Some filesystems, for extra safety, actually store some of this important data (not the actual file contents) in two places on the disk, just in case one of them is lost. NTFS (which is almost certainly what your Windows computer uses for its hard drives) does this, for example, iirc.

Everything here about keeping things in the same order and not swapping, etc. applies just the same to RAID 0 on PCs. As I understand it, this adapter basically uses RAID 0 for the two micro SD cards (although I don't know if it stripes or not, I think it doesn't.)

My example above probably implied that computers generally put videos in a certain place and games in another. This isn't true; they just put them anywhere there's room. The point was that files could easily end up on either card and be separated from their filenames.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MicroSDHC with Memory Stick Duo adapter: good idea? - [Unknown] - 01-02-2015 08:31 PM