Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MicroSDHC with Memory Stick Duo adapter: good idea?
12-31-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: MicroSDHC with Memory Stick Duo adapter: good idea?
The fact that I can just backup everything on PC before adding/removing/doing anything that may cause data loss with the reformatting that follows is a given right? Or you didn't mention it because I can't do it for some reason? This is the last thing, then I'll leave you alone... Until next year lol
Really though, you've been really helpful man. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2014, 10:41 PM
Of course you can (and should) back things up.

-[Unknown]
01-01-2015, 05:53 AM
(12-31-2014 09:43 PM)cloudropis Wrote:  (...)
Until next year lol
(...)

Hahah "x hours later" You can bug [Unknown] again.Big Grin
~ Happy new year guys!
/hides:3

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-02-2015, 08:15 PM
(12-31-2014 07:32 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The important thing is that computers store information in areas of the card. Here's a brief example:

+-------------------+
Filenames
Folders
+-------------------+
Games
Videos
Savedata
+-------------------+

Oh, I didn't know about that Smile
Is this only for SD cards or for any storage medium ?

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
01-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Well, like I said, that's *very* simplified. But generally, it's true for any storage medium or filesystem (FAT, NTFS, etc.)

It can vary by filesystem type, though. For example, often files are all assigned numbers (called "inodes"), and then directories are actually basically text files that just say "I contain the following inodes, and call them these things:". Also, it's perfectly possible for the data of a file (or even directory, if it has enough files inside it) to be "fragmented", i.e. for pieces of it to be in different places on the disk not even anywhere near each other.

So, if you had a video file that was 200 MB on a dual micro SD thing like this (or on RAID 0 in a PC, or etc.), it's possible for 100 MB of that to be on card #1 and 100 MB of it to be on card #2. And the table/index that even tells it how to put the pieces back together in what order is probably only on card #1, but the filename and what directory it's stored in might be in card #2.

Some filesystems, for extra safety, actually store some of this important data (not the actual file contents) in two places on the disk, just in case one of them is lost. NTFS (which is almost certainly what your Windows computer uses for its hard drives) does this, for example, iirc.

Everything here about keeping things in the same order and not swapping, etc. applies just the same to RAID 0 on PCs. As I understand it, this adapter basically uses RAID 0 for the two micro SD cards (although I don't know if it stripes or not, I think it doesn't.)

My example above probably implied that computers generally put videos in a certain place and games in another. This isn't true; they just put them anywhere there's room. The point was that files could easily end up on either card and be separated from their filenames.

-[Unknown]
01-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Thank you for these explanations Smile

(01-02-2015 08:31 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  My example above probably implied that computers generally put videos in a certain place and games in another. This isn't true; they just put them anywhere there's room. The point was that files could easily end up on either card and be separated from their filenames.

So I misunderstood your example...
In fact, that's a matter of fragmentation Smile

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
And here I am again. It wouldn't be such an hassle if I didn't live in a black hole of a country, or if the 90% of Amazon retailers weren't to lazy to go in Europe.
I've found these in a spanish site.
http://www.chipspain.com/en/telecomunica...-8564.html
http://www.chipspain.com/es/consolas-451...-2330.html
This "Ultra(?)" SanDisk is pretty cheap and apparently very high speed according to the table Unknown showed me ([1] aka UHS-1?). And the CR-5400 doesn't have size limitations anymore, right? So this seems good. The adapter too, it's not a knock-off according to the PF site. The bad thing is there are only stock photographs and the products can very well be fake or something. It doesn't seem a shady retailer either, but still...
Anyway, what is this "ultra" deal? Is this supposed to be a real SanDisk? A quick google search tells me yes.
01-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Ultra is good, it's just a line of SanDisk cards. Those should be good. If the adapter doesn't match the picture, you can complain as long as they have decent support.

-[Unknown]
01-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Was going to order but my prepaid card is slightly under the checkout. Gotta place the order tomorrow.
After I get them, do I just need to insert it into the PSP? I know I have to format it, does it happen automatically when I start the console?
01-04-2015, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 01:00 AM by vnctdj.)
I recommend to format it with the PSP. Navigate in the XMB and just search in the settings Smile

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
01-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Finally, it has arrived.
And HOLY ****
I can play games on PPSSPP at higher-than-HD resolutions and just copy the saves over to the PSP whenever I wanna get comfy in my bed or have to travel. It's amazing.
Thank you everyone for the help, I hope I don't get any compatibility problems or some stuff like I always do, but right now I'm happy and I don't care. Really thanks!
(also the CR-5400 is not a knock off, I think that site actually is the official distributor like I thought)
Sorry for the double post, editing wouldn't show that I've written something new from last time.
I had to switch to my old Memstick and noticed that I couldn't remove the CR-5400 by just "clicking" on it. I had to use tweeners. Can I harm the console in any way by doing so? I remove them very slowly can carefully.
01-18-2015, 04:33 PM
Hmm, clicking it works for me. I guess you should be okay as long as you're careful.

-[Unknown]
01-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Actually, do you know how that thing works? I mean, the way you push it slightly to make it pull out a bit for better grip. When it's inserted it's not actually "locked" right? It's just harder to pull it out without pushing first, right? Because it didn't resist my tweeners at all, so I guess it's not stuck in place until you "unlock" it by pushing. I just wanna be sure I'm not forcing some kind of lock.
SD card is inserted well, it's a real CR-5400 (there is a lot number, but that just means it was produced after October 2008), so I don't get why it stuck in the first place.
01-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Hmm, well, it clicks for me. Maybe try pushing it in a bit more. It will stick out a tiny bit more than a regular memory stick, but only the tiniest bit. The cover should still close fine as well.

Your memory stick pro duo does click, right?

-[Unknown]
01-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Yeah, the pro duo clicks just fine. And the cover closes with no problems.
What I meant was actually this: of all the pieces of hardware that use memory sticks/SD cards (even cameras, cellphones...) and that have the "push to make it stick out ready to pull" system, is that just something that makes removing the memory support easier instead of just pulling the tiny bit outside the reader itself, or is the memory support actually locked into place and by not pushing it first I'm basically extirpating it?