Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which Android phone should I upgrade to?
12-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Which Android phone should I upgrade to?
I currently have a Galaxy S3 and I'll be upgrading within 3 or 4 months. What do you recommend?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2014, 08:51 PM
RE: Which Android phone should I upgrade to?
I had a Galaxy S3 and upgraded to a Nexus 5 for a pretty good price, used. Very happy with it. For PPSSPP and other apps, leagues better, and Lollipop is great. Size is comparable to the S3, as well as weight. I think it's thinner, and it definitely looks nicer.

Downsides of the Nexus 5:
* No removable battery / backplate.
* No extra micro SD storage slot (you're stuck with whatever storage you get.)
* Doesn't have S apps (I only miss the Samsung keyboard, and only barely.)

That said, it depends on how much you want to spend (I prefer to spend less upfront than more in monthly chunks, and am generally a cheapskate which is why I bought it used, though it's in absolutely perfect condition.) If you're willing to spend a lot, there are much better phones out there, and if you want a larger screen there are a lot of options. I carefully mapped out around 20 options before picking this one, but that was just for my needs and wants.

Another thing I recommend is getting a wireless charger. They're pretty nice. Newer phones should support them (including the Nexus 5.) Pretty sure the S3 didn't, but could be wrong.

-[Unknown]
12-29-2014, 11:10 PM
I recently bought the JXD S5800, and I'm pretty satisfied.

+Physical controls.
+$120.
+Incredibly powerful speakers.
+Removable battery.
+Dual SIM card.
+5'' screen.
-540p.
-Pretty underpowered by today's standards.
-Speakers don't handle bass or treble well, so outside of phone calls - you're better off using headphones.
-Shitty cameras with no flash.
-Overall size of a 6-7'' phablet.

It looks kind of weird when you take it out of your pocket (like an elongated PSP), but unless you're too shy to take it out in public - it's a great gaming phone. Also, I think that its resolution is pretty adequate - I can't really tell under normal usage the difference between 540p and 720p on a screen that size. The main qualm I have with it is it having no flash module, because now I can't use my phone as a proper flashlight.

I also read some good reviews for the Much W1 (78p01 or 78dian), but I don't think it justifies the price tag ($300).
12-31-2014, 04:47 PM
I think right now I'm looking at the S5 or Nexus 5. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Note 4 but the price is probably what will decide whether I get that or not. As long as it looks nice and it's powerful enough to last another 2 years (easily run new apps/games that will come out as phones improve) I'm ok with it.

I'm not looking for a phone with physical controls since I don't want to pull out a PSP when I'm just trying to look something up or send a text.
12-31-2014, 05:54 PM
The Galaxy S5 is a pretty good phone too, and costs just a bit more than the Nexus 5. It has a better camera and the removable stuff, but doesn't have Lollipop yet afaik.

If you're waiting a few months anyway, might wait until the S6 comes out. Probably a bunch of people will dump their older phones at that point which will reduce prices I assume.

-[Unknown]
12-31-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 06:26 PM by Haseeb.)
If I was you , I would've updated to HTC ONE X , it was banned but it's still available in shops.
Not too expensive and has very good specifications.
1.5Ghz Quad Core , Tegra 3.

The Signature!
12-31-2014, 10:57 PM
The HTC One M8 is a good phone. Has dual front facing speakers for great sound with gaming on it. It also has better thermals than other phones. And it looks pretty nice. The camera is not quite as good as the S5 though.
01-05-2015, 09:48 AM
If you have a PS4, I would get the new Xperia! You can use it like PS Vita, to stream PS4 games!

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'