Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I upgrade PPSSPP?
12-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Should I upgrade PPSSPP?
I have 0.9.6.2 right now, I downloaded it a while ago and shortly after a new version came out. I was going to update when I heard people talking that old saves weren't compatible with the new version. I don't really follow the PPSSPP development, was it a rare occurrence or has it been a well known issue with the new versions? And if it was, is it safe to upgrade now? In case I find out the old saves don't actually work anymore is there a way to revert to a previous version to keep them, or to convert them or something?

Also, slightly off-topic, what is the right section to ask something about PPSSPP and real hardware cross saving (AKA if I need something specific or if I just have to play a game on PPSSPP, copy the ISO and the save file over to a real PSP and resume)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
RE: Should I upgrade PPSSPP?
Saves work fine but if you wanna be 100% sure then just download the latest build, make a new folder and extract it there and then copy all your saves to the new PPSSPP.
12-28-2014, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 08:57 PM by LunaMoo.)
Both saves and savestates actually improved in new versions, but one of the fixes does happen to cause a problem when old in-game saves made in ppsspp cannot be loaded for example in games from God Eater series which is what you might heard(/read).
It's very easy to fix through, so don't worry, just have to enter settings->system, there disable "Respect FPU rounding (disable for old GEB saves)", and your old save from such game should load fine. Then while still in-game you can just re-enable that option and save your game again to overwrite old "bugged" save with a new "fixed" one.

You want to keep that option enabled especially if you care about cross compatibility with psp as it did fixed it for a few games. Many games work just fine by copying saves between the psp<->ppsspp, however, there might still be some games which saves aren't cross compatible, you can find a list of them in here that's also a place where you could report ones you find which still doesn't work on latest versions from buildbot.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
12-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Perfect answer, very happy to know that! Gratz on getting a feature even great companies struggle to implement working.
Many thanks!