Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Seriously.. wtf performance?
11-22-2014, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 03:35 AM by StarzXFP.)
Seriously.. wtf performance?
Hello all,

Was REALLY looking forward to emulating PSP on my phone.
I have a Oneplus One running 4.4.4 Kitkat and CyanogenMod.
Snapdragon 801 2.5GHz , 3GB 1866MHz RAM, Adreno 330.

No matter what I do, any game I try is unplayable. Sound cuts out hard and is super distorted. I'm pretty sure my phones specs should be good enough...

Also I have tried re-installing app and iso's with no luck. I have tried almost literally every setting with some slight improvements.

To break it down it feels like my CPU is underclocked and the game runs in slow motion and sometimes runs in super speed as if it were overclocking but only for a millisecond.

Thoughts? How is this even possible.. I have nothing running as well as well as no power saving.

EDIT: http://youtu.be/FsG8wvQXaIk - YouTube video.. unfortunately it's squeezed and hard to see
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 07:57 AM
RE: Seriously.. wtf performance?
well i play psp2 and god eater fine on my phone with mediatek mt6577 1.0ghz and 512mb ram(480mb usable).refer to this thread

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=7069
11-22-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 02:17 PM by StarzXFP.)
(11-22-2014 07:57 AM)emmaus Wrote:  well i play psp2 and god eater fine on my phone with mediatek mt6577 1.0ghz and 512mb ram(480mb usable).refer to this thread

You play fine with specs much lower than mine yet I cant get 10fps on stock settings lol.

Well I was reading more on forums and I see that almost every Oneplus One has the same exact issue, and not sure if phones of similar caliber as well (cause of the hardware?)

I want to play PSP games so bad but it doesn't look like I will. I can't find a thread about this either.
11-23-2014, 07:06 AM
I have the same slow crap on my Note4 which is pretty powerful.

Its a qualcomm adreno issue. From what Ive read its the drivers for the gpu that suck ass. But I have a feeling that if the good ppl behind ppsspp want to make things smoother on these qualcom chips, they can .
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Expect God of War to be unplayable. It took a lot of work to get that game running at decent speeds even on desktop. It may be possible to improve it on mobile but for now, don't expect it to run silky smooth.

I've tested PPSSPP on an Adreno 225 and Adreno 330. People often explain that PPSSPP runs poorly on Adreno but I have not experienced this.

I put the Gods Eater Burst demo on my Nexus 5 (near but not as good performance as your device, Snapdragon 800.) It runs perfectly well at full speed. Fast forward can take it to 418%. Note that this is with DEFAULT settings, not maxed out settings.

Changing settings as follows:
* Native device resolution (1080p) instead of 2x PSP (544p, PSP was 480x272.)
* Render resolution = 3x PSP.
* Texture scaling = 2x Hybrid + Bicubic, deposterize on.

Loading is a bit sluggish, but more than playable, and it looks crystal clear. Still runs at full speed. This thing trashes my old Adreno 225 phone. I'm running stock Lollipop.

-[Unknown]
11-24-2014, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 04:27 AM by fivefeet8.)
I have a Note 3(S800), a HTC One M8(S801), and Nvidia Shield Tablet. The Snapdragon devices are pretty slow in most games if you want to use 4xResolution(1080p), but they do run most games ok at 2x. A few games do run pretty well, but not many. Out of these games:

Little Big Planet
Final Fantasy 7:Crisis Core
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Final Fantasy Type 0
Rachet and Clank
Tekken 5
Kingdom Hearts: BBS
GTA Chinatown Wars

The only game that runs almost perfectly without frameskip on that list at 4x Resolution on the Snapdragon devices is Crisis Core. The others I have to use mostly 2x and without any post processing effects. Chinatown Wars can not be played on the Snapdragon devices with anything other than 1x Resolution because of rendering issues.
11-24-2014, 05:24 AM
Well, Snapdragon devices cover a large percentage of the market. I'll tell you that it ran better on my 1.5Ghz / Adreno 225 Snapdragon than on a 1.6 Ghz Atom netbook, iirc, so I'm not unsatisfied with the performance.

4x is 1088p, it's quite high resolution. Consider how many PS3 games ran at native 1080p, and how many ran at less.

If I remember right, using NEON in texture decoding really helped Snapdragon devices, but we've been doing that for a while. Also the software skinning adjustment (hurts some games but helps most.)

-[Unknown]
11-24-2014, 07:46 AM
I was the one who made the thread about Snapdragons (nexus 7 2013) to make everyone aware of the issue, and the thread ended with Henrik saying that most Snaps now performs perfectly fine.

With much respect, its not true. The issues still persiste.

To reach playable speeds i had to overclock my S5 with a custom kernel and keep all cores at 2.7ghz in performance mode, at least with Tekken 6 i'm able to play the game using native device resolution and auto setting in the scaler.

This makes me able to use frameskip value of 1 and keep 100% speed.

Anything else, the performance is not ok compared to the old nvidia shield, where it can run games such Outrun 2006 more easily BUT NOT Tekken 6 at same resolution (probably because the adreno 330 bandwidth or fill rate).

Thats all.

[Gaming PC]: i7 3770k @ 4,6ghz - 8gb DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ares - GTX 780Ti AMP! - Windows 8 pro x64 - Asus VG248QE
[Mobile]: Iphone 5s 16gb Space Grey - Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 LTE
[Android]: Nvidia Shield
[Consoles]: PsVita - Crisis Core Limited Edition PSP - PS4
11-24-2014, 03:39 PM
I got games working great on my OnePlus One. You need to set these:

frameskipping set to 1...
rendering resolution to 5xPSP
display resolution (hw scaler) 4xPSP
lazy texture caching (speedup) checked (ticked)
disable alpha test (speedup) checked (ticked)
texture coord speedhack (speedup) checked (ticked)

Under system:

fast memory (checked)
multithreaded (checked)

under developer tools:

Dynarec (JIT) (checked)
11-24-2014, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 04:30 PM by fivefeet8.)
(11-24-2014 05:24 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  4x is 1088p, it's quite high resolution. Consider how many PS3 games ran at native 1080p, and how many ran at less.

I realize that 4xNative is quite high for PSP emulation, but there are many games I've tried that will not run well without frameskip on the Snapdragon devices with even 1xNative(Tekken5, Type Zero). I also realize most users will be fine with some frameskipping and that's fine. There are some concessions that have to made to make many games playable on these devices which I totally understand, but comparatively, they are lacking in performance.

Unfortunately, they are such a large part of the market and their performance issues in PSP emulation also translates to other emulators(ePSXe OpenGL plugin).
11-24-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm not saying performance issues don't exist on Adreno, instead I'm saying that some performance issues are not device specific. God of War at 4x PSP probably won't even run fullspeed on my Core i7 desktop.

I do however think that Adreno-specific performance issues have improved.

I'll try to benchmark the Type-0 demo sometime on my device. I know some parts of that game had challenging performance even on desktop (again), but I'd think that at least some gameplay should be able to run without frameskip on recent Adreno devices (based on the performance I've observed in games I've tested on my Nexus 5.)

-[Unknown]
11-24-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2014 09:12 PM by fivefeet8.)
Adreno-specific performance has improved with the continued efforts by the PPSSPP devs, but not much has improved from Qualcomm driver development. Compared to IOS devices and the K1 Soc, performance is comparably still worse off in the general sense(not game specific and all cases).

Type-0 has some gameplay that runs fine, but it's not consistent across much of the game. Much the same with other games I've tried on my Adreno devices. They run fine some of the time depending on the gameplay going on, but usually when there are more stuff happening onscreen, it slows down. An example that I've observed is when playing Little Big Planet. It runs fine on my M8 until I get to a level with any smoke or lots of smoke effects. Then the performance starts going down. To keep it consistent with performance, I have to reduce the resolution and disable some post process effects. This doesn't happen on my Shield Tablet.

I realize I'm comparing a Tablet to a Phone, but the SOCs don't change much whether in a phone or Tablet.
11-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Chance the CPU clock in System to 111, and see if this is better.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro