Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Do you think the PS4 and XB1 can be prejudiced for be based in a PC hardware?
11-03-2014, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 02:50 PM by Made in China.)
RE: Do you think the PS4 and XB1 can be prejudiced for be based in a PC hardware?
Once, if you wanted to play a game, you could either:
1. Play it on the PC, and bet that your specs were compatible with it. Notice I said compatible - the drivers were shit, and even if you did have the recommended specs it still might've not worked.
2. Play it on the console, where it is sure to perform as advertised (as there isn't much variation, hardware side)
Nowadays, we have the internet. We have patches and community support. You could even get PC games at higher quality in the same time as the consoles, which was not the case for previous generations. Therefore, the case for consoles, hardware wise, is nullified.

Regarding the input, that is also something that's not an issue anymore. Once the PC was primarily a keyboard/mouse setup, maybe with the occasional joystick. Nowadays we have so many controllers, and the console controllers are compatible with the PC - that it's actually a detriment to play on the consoles. The only time that isn't true is when you're utilizing gimmick controllers - the Wii (which has been ported), WiiU (not ported, as far as I know), and portable-wise - the Vita.

There really is no reason for consoles to exist anymore. They're closed-source PCs, where industry has moved towards more open-source solution. The only ones who want to keep consoles alive are the manufacturers, because their stake in that market is too high. That is also furthering the case for console exclusives, which more and more people are refusing to buy - at least while they're on the rival\original console. That case was made by Fable III, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising, Fez, Brutal Legend, which all had good or even better sales after the rerelease(s) - and the list goes on.
You only have to look as far as Xbox Live subscription and PSN Gold to see how Microsoft and Sony are milking the consumers for money. They're actually charging people for connecting to servers, some of them they do not even own, while Valve does it for free. Heck, even GameSpot did it for free, in the golden age of Quake and Unreal Tournament. How much balls does it take to lie to the consumer about it being a major expense, when it was offered for free by many other companies?

For one, I don't care about consoles anymore. If it's on the PC - great. If it isn't, I'll play it when it's ported or when an emulators come out down the road - because I'm willing to wait it out if it means that practice will die out.
The only exception I've made is buying a PS3, 7 years after it was released, so I could play Persona 5 when it comes out. I still do not plan on buying any current gen consoles.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do you think the PS4 and XB1 can be prejudiced for be based in a PC hardware? - Made in China - 11-03-2014 02:45 PM