Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ways to counteract sprite glitches caused by upscaling / texture filtering?
10-29-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: Ways to counteract sprite glitches caused by upscaling / texture filtering?
I noticed that the builds of PPSSPP available on buildbot have an additional graphics option that wasn't in the latest stable PPSSPP release.

That option being "Screen Scaling Filter" under the section "Texture Filtering".

Naturally, I felt compelled to mess around with this option and see what all effects it had and if it did anything in regards to upscaling / filtering glitches. I fired up Unchained Blades because its "face box" glitches are quite noticeable and occur pretty much immediately after starting a new game.

I actually had some decent results in goofing around with it. I found that by changing the "Screen Scaling Filter" from "Linear" to "Nearest" and then setting "Texture Scaling" to "Auto, Hybrid" would cause the face boxes to be significantly less noticeable. If not specifically looking for defects its likely that most people wouldn't really notice. Not perfect by any means, but for most people I think these settings could work.

For comparison here's some examples...

* 1st image is using software rendering mode
* 2nd image is using the default PPSSPP graphics settings
* 3rd image is using Screen Scaling Filter (Nearest) and Texture Scaling (Auto,Hyrid)

Example 1
    ,     ,    

Example 2
    ,     ,    
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ways to counteract sprite glitches caused by upscaling / texture filtering? - Kolrath - 10-29-2014 07:07 AM