Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP for Mac [NOT ASKING]
03-05-2013, 01:45 AM
PPSSPP for Mac [NOT ASKING]
Hi, I'm new here.

The other day I was surprised there weren't any Mac builds ready to download so I cloned the repo and was able to build it easily. I haven't done much emulation-related coding but I'm pretty sure I can put together a Mac build for you guys from time to time. Is there any interest? I could also fix OSX-related issues if I find some (clang throws 50+ warnings and my OCD is urging me to fix them, lol). For example, I just did a pull and seems to be broken (I'm not sure if it's OSX-specific or just someone who decided to push without testing Tongue).

So, is there any interest in a Mac mantainer? I know I'll be diving into the codebase, HLE seems pretty clever and interesting, the farthest I got was to implement a basic Z80 interpreter, heh.

BTW, running "cmake -G Xcode ." seems to generate broken projects (both PPSSSPPHeadless and PPSSPPSDL seem to be unable to link). I'm investigating the issue but if someone has any clues I'm all ears Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 02:18 AM
RE: PPSSPP for Mac [NOT ASKING]
Sounds great to me.

Last time I built on my Mac it did work. I had just broken the build momentarily (sorry), so you might've just been unlucky. Also, I recently had to change the cmake file to specify libc++ though, or it would not link - got STL errors. Are you going off the latest master? If so, what errors are you getting? I was using Xcode 4.6.

Warning fixes are definitely always welcome, as long as they're correct.

One thing we need is something to properly package a PPSSPP.app/ with the assets and such. CPack may be the right way, not sure - I only know a little about Macs.

Also, I think the current build uses SDL, but the Qt interface is much further along. It might be better to try to get that working, although I'm not sure Qt and Xcode play nice together.

For emulation related stuff, I definitely suggest trying to get psplink working. I have no idea how to do it on a Mac, but it shouldn't be impossible. That way, you can write simple tests and run them on the PSP. What we do is have a library of these (needs work) in pspautotests/, which we compare output against the emulator to make sure it's exactly the same.

-[Unknown]
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your answer. The problem is exactly the one you mention, STL issues. In the generated xcodeproj, it was set to use the "Compiler default" standard library and not libc++. I followed the build instructions found in the readme file and I'm also using Xcode 4.6. Cmake version is 2.8.10.2. I'll just keep trying and see if I can get it to work properly.

I was getting some HTTP POST related error (it was a function parameter count mismatch) but it seems to be gone now.

Cpack is an option, but it generates installers and I'd prefer a standalone PPSSPP.app file. I don't know much about Cmake but I believe it should be possible to use the BundleUtilities module to do this. There's an example here: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/BundleUtilitiesExample. Also, if I get the Xcode project towork, it should be easy to pack an app bundle using it.
03-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Cool.

Hmm. Well, this is the line in CMakeLists.txt that fixed it for me:

set(CMAKE_XCODE_ATTRIBUTE_CLANG_CXX_LIBRARY "libc++")

Have you tried running `cmake -GXcode ..` on it since you updated? I think the xcodeproj does this automatically, though...

-[Unknown]
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 02:58 PM by CilantroZ.)
I forked the repo and started from scratch and it seems to work, now it builds and links. Xcode is bugging me to update to the latest "Recommended settings" and I remember actually doing that before... maybe that broke something. And you were right about Cpack, it has a "bundle" and "drag & drop file" generator for OSX. I'm not sure the difference between these two but I'll find out soon enough. Thanks for the help Smile
03-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Ah, you might've not updated submodules. I'm not sure if you're using the Xcode Git interface (never used it), but from Terminal you should run:

git submodule update

Whenever native or pspautotests (which are submodules) get updated. If not, you'll eventually get compile errors. You can tell they were changed in the git pull / git status output.

Probably Xcode's UI handles this somehow, submodules are very commonly used...

Glad you got it working, and thanks for looking into it.

-[Unknown]
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
If you achieve to make PPSSPP work on macs, I would gladly help by testing it.