Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Perfect Android Phone
09-24-2014, 09:24 PM
The Perfect Android Phone
Short version: Which modern phone would be best for using PPSSPP?

Long version: I'm in need of a new phone, and since my old PSP has a broken screen, a new PSP at that. I figured I'd combine the two expenses and get a phone capable of playing PPSSPP decently... except I can't find a good guide on how to do that.

I tried searching some of my prospective purchases on the forums (Sony Xperia Z3, LG G3, HTC One (M8)), but answers have been vague at best. And as cool as you guys are, I feel uncomfortable shelling out $200 to $700 dollars on vague results.

So, I put forth the question that I haven't seen asked. What's the best phone for this program? What would get decent or respectable results if one were to put in the right settings and such? Would any of those phones I mentioned even measure up?

If it helps, I'd like to play these games on my new phone: Persona 3, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Metal Slug XX, Half Minute Hero, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Pursuit Force

Also, please let me know if this question is already answered. Cuz... I'd love to get that answer. I just can't find it, you know?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2014, 09:42 PM
RE: The Perfect Android Phone
I'd wait for the Note4 with the Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420 gpu. It should run more games better than my Note 3(Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330). Currently, most android phones are a bit problematic with performance for most PSP games emulated with PPSSPP. You're going to have to live with frameskipping or/and lower resolution settings.

The best current phones would be any of the Snapdragon 801 devices. The ones you listed all pretty much contain that chipset. The choices of hardware on higher end Phones are severly lacking in the US.
09-25-2014, 12:34 AM
(09-24-2014 09:42 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  I'd wait for the Note4 with the Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420 gpu. It should run more games better than my Note 3(Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330). Currently, most android phones are a bit problematic with performance for most PSP games emulated with PPSSPP. You're going to have to live with frameskipping or/and lower resolution settings.

The best current phones would be any of the Snapdragon 801 devices. The ones you listed all pretty much contain that chipset. The choices of hardware on higher end Phones are severly lacking in the US.

I read somewhere that more detailed screens like the Note 3's could cause devices to heat up/slow down using PPSSPP. Is this true? Also, do you have to use the stylus with those kinds of phones? Because I always lose the stylus on my Nintendo DS. Seriously. Every time.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with moderate frame skips or lower resolution. It's not like the PSP was HD in the first place... Speaking of graphics, you mentioned graphics processing units. Are those important too? Because it looks like the Xperia Z3 has the 420 while the other two have the 330.
09-25-2014, 12:50 AM
You should probably use an overclocked galaxy s5
09-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Buy a laptop with high end spec and use bluestack Big Grin, just kidding

Experimenting with adhoc over internet system through Amultios custom ppsspp fork, find me in game

Monster Hunter Freedom : Lucis
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite : Lucis
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: Lucis
09-25-2014, 12:52 PM
(09-25-2014 12:50 AM)POGO4LIFE Wrote:  You should probably use an overclocked galaxy s5

Overclocking? I didn't know you could do that with a phone. I try to avoid doing such things since I heard it can wear out the system faster. And it that requires rooting, all the more reason for me to not try it.

Is a normal Galaxy S5 a good phone? I noticed it doesn't have a lot of internal storage space or RAM... at least compared to some other models. And RAM is important for emulation, right?
09-25-2014, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 01:32 PM by fivefeet8.)
Are you sure the Z3 has the Adreno 420? I read it's only the same Snapdragon 330 gpu. Out of the phones you listed, I'd get the HTC One(M8). It has dual front facing speakers and has a better thermal case. It dissipates heat better than the GS5.

Both phones have enough ram for PPSSPP and both have support for external SD cards. But if you want to use your phone for photos as well, the GS5 is the better of them for daylight images.
09-25-2014, 05:09 PM
(09-25-2014 01:10 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  Are you sure the Z3 has the Adreno 420? I read it's only the same Snapdragon 330 gpu. Out of the phones you listed, I'd get the HTC One(M8). It has dual front facing speakers and has a better thermal case. It dissipates heat better than the GS5.

Both phones have enough ram for PPSSPP and both have support for external SD cards. But if you want to use your phone for photos as well, the GS5 is the better of them for daylight images.

Sorry. According to the sony web site it is an Adreno 330 GPU. Must've written down the wrong thing by mistake. The HTC One is pretty cool, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to go for it since each of these phone websites seems to have different listings for functions sometimes. Is it really so hard to know if a phone has USB Host/OTG functions or not?
09-25-2014, 05:21 PM
(09-25-2014 05:09 PM)Zander490 Wrote:  Sorry. According to the sony web site it is an Adreno 330 GPU. Must've written down the wrong thing by mistake. The HTC One is pretty cool, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to go for it since each of these phone websites seems to have different listings for functions sometimes. Is it really so hard to know if a phone has USB Host/OTG functions or not?

What are you trying to do with the OTG cable connections?
09-25-2014, 06:19 PM
(09-25-2014 05:21 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(09-25-2014 05:09 PM)Zander490 Wrote:  Sorry. According to the sony web site it is an Adreno 330 GPU. Must've written down the wrong thing by mistake. The HTC One is pretty cool, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to go for it since each of these phone websites seems to have different listings for functions sometimes. Is it really so hard to know if a phone has USB Host/OTG functions or not?

What are you trying to do with the OTG cable connections?

That... is a very good question. I guess have it just in case? Yeah, I'm not very good at tech shopping. "Might need it later" syndrome or whatever... Which led to me buying a crappy tablet one time actually, but that's another story.

However, my point is that it's needlessly difficult to find a web site to compare features with, as some don't list all of the functionality.
09-25-2014, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 06:35 PM by fivefeet8.)
(09-25-2014 06:19 PM)Zander490 Wrote:  That... is a very good question. I guess have it just in case? Yeah, I'm not very good at tech shopping. "Might need it later" syndrome or whatever... Which led to me buying a crappy tablet one time actually, but that's another story.

However, my point is that it's needlessly difficult to find a web site to compare features with, as some don't list all of the functionality.

OTG functionality is normally supported on newer devices. It's a feature that's not promoted as much since so many devices already have it. I'd be suprised if the devices you listed aren't OTG capable. I know my Note3 and Galaxy S 4 are OTG.

OTG means the phone can use USB compatible devices beyond only tablet accessories, like keyboards, and mouse. It also means to have other funtionality beyond normal tablet use. For like say a USB to wired Network connection.
09-25-2014, 06:52 PM
(09-25-2014 06:33 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  OTG functionality is normally supported on newer devices. It's a feature that's not promoted as much since so many devices already have it. I'd be suprised if the devices you listed aren't OTG capable. I know my Note3 and Galaxy S 4 are OTG.

OTG means the phone can use USB compatible devices beyond only tablet accessories, like keyboards, and mouse. It also means to have other funtionality beyond normal tablet use. For like say a USB to wired Network connection.

Right, yeah. I remember wanting to use my keyboard on my tablet since I wanted to use it for chatting online and couldn't get a good laptop at the time. But that feature stopped working soon enough and I ended up buying a bluetooth keyboard instead.

How much ram does PPSSPP require? The HTC One has 2 GBs of Ram while the Note 4 and G3 have 3. I also noticed that the HTC one doesn't have a removable battery. Since I had to replace the battery on my old phone before, this kind of worries me. I'd rather be able to pay a small price to repair my phone if something goes wrong with a single part, instead of having to pay for a brand new model.
09-25-2014, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2014 08:53 PM by fivefeet8.)
(09-25-2014 06:52 PM)Zander490 Wrote:  How much ram does PPSSPP require? The HTC One has 2 GBs of Ram while the Note 4 and G3 have 3. I also noticed that the HTC one doesn't have a removable battery. Since I had to replace the battery on my old phone before, this kind of worries me. I'd rather be able to pay a small price to repair my phone if something goes wrong with a single part, instead of having to pay for a brand new model.

Most modern phone devices come with 1 GB ram or more which is more than enough to run PPSSPP. There are users on the forum running devices with 512 megs of ram on their phones, but I wouldn't necessarily say it runs well. But that has more to do with processor speed and GPU performance. Normally, you'll want a faster CPU and GPU if you want faster PPSSPP performance.

If a swappable battery is a concern, get the device that provides it. The devices you listed all contain the same Snapdragon 801 chipset which means they pretty much will perform the same in PPSSPP. The differences are more personal usage and preferences.
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
(09-25-2014 08:53 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  Most modern phone devices come with 1 GB ram or more which is more than enough to run PPSSPP. There are users on the forum running devices with 512 megs of ram on their phones, but I wouldn't necessarily say it runs well. But that has more to do with processor speed and GPU performance. Normally, you'll want a faster CPU and GPU if you want faster PPSSPP performance.

If a swappable battery is a concern, get the device that provides it. The devices you listed all contain the same Snapdragon 801 chipset which means they pretty much will perform the same in PPSSPP. The differences are more personal usage and preferences.

If they are that similar I'll probably stick with my gut and go with the LG G3. It has less ram, but a replaceable battery is really important in my book. Plus that means I'll have an easier time finding help if something goes wrong since it's been out for a while, rather than waiting on brand new technology. Kinda still wish I could see how it runs myself though. The LG G3 running PPSSPP videos on youtube aren't exactly promising.
09-27-2014, 06:24 PM
If you want a quite good phone and you dont have lot of money, buy used S3 and install cyanogenmod. This is ex-flagship phone, that's why many people have S3. If you install Cyanogenmod, any android version is available. Well, maybe not officially but it doesnt matter.
Or, you can buy Oneplus one. It is awesome. S3 is not.