Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random blue screen?
10-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Random blue screen?
I don't mean ppsspp looks blue. My computer got a blue screen. It's the second time I see it and both times I was only running ppsspp. It said something about my computer abruptly shutting down and that I should restart it. The first time that happened was a few months ago on an older version. I usually play another game on my computer without ever seeing blue screens but it could still be a coincidence. Anyone know what might cause it? It's not overheating.

After it rebooted I got this.
[Image: recovered.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: Random blue screen?
It could be a lot of things, but PPSSPP doesn't cause BSODS or crashes on purpose, of course. Perhaps PPSSPP is interacting with your GPU driver in such a way that it doesn't like, causing the crash. What did the BSOD say?

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
10-02-2014, 09:10 PM
(10-02-2014 05:15 AM)TheDax Wrote:  It could be a lot of things, but PPSSPP doesn't cause BSODS or crashes on purpose, of course. Perhaps PPSSPP is interacting with your GPU driver in such a way that it doesn't like, causing the crash. What did the BSOD say?

I don't remember. I just remember seeing it restart and choosing to boot up normally in the black screen that popped up after my computer restarted. I was exhausted so I didn't read the wall of text. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it ever happens again.
10-04-2014, 08:26 AM
there are 2 parts of a BSOD that are most important.
the HUMAN_READABLE_ERROR_DESCRIPTION
and the first "0x00000000" section.
the other "0x00000000" sections can sometimes be useful for more specific details, but everything else can be ignored.

and when you screenshot such a generic error message, click the "show details" button first.
that error happens after almost every BSOD, and is always identical except for the contents of the details area(which is hidden)

it should still be possible to retrieve BSOD information if you use a program called "bluescreenview"
blue screens should never be ignored, they can be a random glitch, but it may also be your computer telling you the hard drive, memory, or graphics card is dying.