Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vsync in Windows 8.1
08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
RE: Vsync in Windows 8.1
(08-18-2014 09:35 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  It's NVidia doing driver magic. I noticed that on specific NVidia driver versions it detected whether a window covered exactly 100% of the screen and then acted like it was real fullscreen.

Even positioning the window at [1,0][1921,1080] made this effect go away. I don't remember the driver version which I tested this with.

Interesting. Do you know how I would offset PPSSPP in such a way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2014, 11:00 PM
I just did it in the code somewhere around here: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/blob/...w.cpp#L255

But the code around full-screening on ppsspp in windows has changed a little since I tried that. I could've sworn there was a "setRect" or something like it there which made changing it more obvious
08-20-2014, 09:37 PM
(08-18-2014 11:00 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  I just did it in the code somewhere around here: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/blob/...w.cpp#L255

But the code around full-screening on ppsspp in windows has changed a little since I tried that. I could've sworn there was a "setRect" or something like it there which made changing it more obvious

Oi, that sounds like a pain. Still, it may be necessary for me to brush up on my coding and dive in, as I've spent several more hours tweaking every setting in the PPSSPP ini and NVidia Inspector, and the problem definitely lies in the program itself... Sad
08-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Hi, I have a laptop that has an Nvidia Geforce 710m mobile videocard (OS win 7 64x), and in PPSSPP 0.9.9.1 v-sync also doesn't work for me. In official 0.9.8 release it worked, although not perfectly, but still better than in the latest version. So it seams the culprit here is the emu, not the videodriver. Oh, and v-sync only works if I turn it on in the driver's settings: ingame one doesn't work.

I also have another problem, related to videocard and v-sync - stuttering. For some reason if I enable v-sync in 0.9.8 version, games would occasionally stutter. Without v-sync games, for the most part, don't stutter, but there's a horrible level of screen tearing, which kills the smoothness. Unfortunately, driver setting "Max. number of prerendered frames" doesn't eliminate the problem. It looks like the stuttering occurs at the same time when there should be screen tear, and it could last for several seconds: it feels like as if the emu started to drop frames, although it doesn't.

Hope something could be done to resolve these issues.
09-20-2014, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 04:43 PM by MyNinjaPenguin.)
Oh, HECK YES! The new D3D9 backend is amazing! Well okay, it still has a lot of issues (those white skeletal "shadows" in Final Fantasy Type-0 are super creepy), but it fixes the Vsync problem for me, and runs most games marvelously.

To anyone having the Vsync (or lack thereof) problem, I recommend you download the latest git build of PPSSPP and switch the backend to "Direct3D9". Big Grin