Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How dependent is PPSSPP on my computer's VRam?
09-15-2014, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 12:42 AM by MidnightXS.)
How dependent is PPSSPP on my computer's VRam?
Hey guys, I was just about to download PPSSPP, and, as the title will tell you, I was wondering how dependent the emulator was on the VRam. I have an Intel chipset (I checked the pinned thread and the Intel HD Graphics is compatible) and it only has a 32MB VRam, which is awful. My new laptop also has 4 GB RAM (Not too bad Big Grin) and an Intel Pentium CPU N3530 clocked at 2.16 GHz. The OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

PPSSPP ran slow on my previous computer, but I wasn't exactly sure why. Everything except for save the Graphics Card is better on this computer, so I don't know exactly why it ran slowly. If the problem was the VRam, can the leftover RAM be used instead?

Also, I feel like this is a terribly worded post, but oh well. Tongue

XSEdit: I have incredibly slow internet here, so it will be a while before I can test a game on here. If it's too slow, I still have it on my nVidia Shield, too, so it's not that big a deal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2014, 04:54 AM
RE: How dependent is PPSSPP on my computer's VRam?
I'm using an Intel HD Graphics IGP meself (see sig), and I've tried to set the shared RAM to different settings to ensure that I will only use the absolute minimum that PPSSPP requires (so that I don't take up too much from the already measly 4GB.) The sweet spot in my case seems to e 512mb. Smooth sailing all around as long as I don't go above x3 resolution or enable any upscaling.

If I set it to 1 GB, I don't notice any improvements (and it's too slow for x4 and x2 upscaling anyway, so I don't really need the extra VRAM.)

If I set it to 256 mb, it's workable but there are stutters, particularly in heavy FB effects. On 128 mb, the stutters are more pronounced.

IIRC, Unknown has a post somewhere that explained PPSSPP's VRAM usage and which settings will make it chug VRAM - basically, the biggest hoarder of vram is the texture upscaling, as it not only consumes more memory than the internal resolution but also scales its usage faster the higher you go up the multiplier.

Main PC: Pentium g2020 (Ivy Bridge dual core, 2.9 ghz), Intel HD Graphics, 4 GB DDR3 Ram (3.5Gb usable), W7 64bit
Secondary PC: C2D e8400 (dual core 3.0 ghz), nVidia GT 240 GDDR5, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, W7 64bit
Laptop: AMD Turion X2 (dual core 1.80 ghz), ATI Xpress 1150 IGP, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (1.7GB usable), W7 32bit
09-15-2014, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 06:39 AM by MidnightXS.)
Thanks, @tintinmayo, I'll try it out. Can you recommend a good game to test this out? I was thinking Crisis Core, but it's a bit of a big file to download on this god awful internet. FF 1-4 are pretty small, but they run well anyway, so it wouldn't be good for testing purposes.
09-15-2014, 08:51 AM
The amount of VRAM used is relatively small as PSP games use pretty small textures. So unless you enable 5x upscaling and 10x render resolution and stuff like that, as tintin says, it's unlikely to be the bottleneck.
09-15-2014, 09:10 AM
(09-15-2014 12:24 AM)MidnightXS Wrote:  Hey guys, I was just about to download PPSSPP, and, as the title will tell you, I was wondering how dependent the emulator was on the VRam. I have an Intel chipset (I checked the pinned thread and the Intel HD Graphics is compatible) and it only has a 32MB VRam, which is awful. My new laptop also has 4 GB RAM (Not too bad Big Grin) and an Intel Pentium CPU N3530 clocked at 2.16 GHz. The OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

PPSSPP ran slow on my previous computer, but I wasn't exactly sure why. Everything except for save the Graphics Card is better on this computer, so I don't know exactly why it ran slowly. If the problem was the VRam, can the leftover RAM be used instead?

Also, I feel like this is a terribly worded post, but oh well. Tongue

XSEdit: I have incredibly slow internet here, so it will be a while before I can test a game on here. If it's too slow, I still have it on my nVidia Shield, too, so it's not that big a deal.

Not much i can say cause i play with Awfull graphics on 100%speed and FPS with a Nvidia 6150SE Nforce 430 not good so i think almost every Video card can play PPSSPP smooth

♥Join US ♥ party on EVOLVEHQ for ALL MonsterHunters English:

https://www.evolvehq.com/recruit/party?token=player:FIlZsoO7VtIqC2x1,party:L5fuksYOCYQWJh_i

♫Status♪ Yuu-Eucliwood Tittles: → Perfect Against Chickens ← ►Kaiser of Heaven&Earth◄
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-15-2014, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 09:45 PM by MidnightXS.)
Good to hear. I don't usually use Texture Upscaling because it doesn't make a noticeable difference to me, but I do use increased Rendering Resolution occasionally. I probably just won't use it because I'd rather play the game than have it look good.