Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retro vs Modern?
09-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Retro vs Modern?
Super Mario, Zelda, Fallout 3, they are just great.
Find it difficult to decide?
Are you retro or modern?

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 11:38 AM
RE: Retro vs Modern?
It’s an unanswerable question for any true gamer! That’s because, true gamers knows to appreciate good stuff, doesn’t matter if it was released for Atari or PS4.

If you ask my preferences, it’s well balanced between retro and modern! My Favorite Zelda is Skyward Sword, very modern. My second favorite Zelda, is Link to The Past, very retro!

My favorite RPG of All times is Chrono Trigger, retro. My favorite shooter is Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3; modern.

It’s just impossible to judge what is better!

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
09-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm mostly retro, but I do enjoy modern games too.
09-04-2014, 07:09 PM
retro is good but ya beat bf4 on ps4 online..

S TO DA G
09-04-2014, 07:26 PM
i would say i love both but 1 thing i hate is that some franchise should die like how many Final Fantasy games we have or how many sonic games we have ? or Tekken or Street Fighter ?

i will never say its bad games i love them for ever but some of them should just die and be made as totally different games like i dont know from which part but for example ff type-0 if there was not tittle Final Fantasy and that little creature known from ff series i would not say its FF game

i love street fighter 2 and street fighter 4 but i think this is too much and should be totally different games

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Sorry man, but i disagree!!

It’s possible to make modern games, based in retro ones. A great example of this are the Zelda games. The modern games share some old ideas with new mechanics, turning it into a unique masterpiece.

It can be done with other titles too, but the problem is that, most of softhouses fail in this propose.

I honestly love Final Fantasy series, and I don’t want it to end. And I’m not talking about Type-0 or Crisis Core; I’m talking about FF XIII, which is moderns but it has some retro mechanics.

Long live to the classic series!!

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

09-05-2014, 11:04 AM
no no no you dont understand me at all

lets take zelda as you wish
when i played minis cup or phantom of hourglass i was happy to see things like boomerang or rupens in it cause it nostalgic and seeing adult link in twilight princess or ocarina of time was just amazing and that is perfect example what should be done with retro games

same goes to lets say tekken new chars new moves + old that make perfect mix

and than comes sonic characters are the same but look how gameplay changed from original i seen many raging fans for making sonic in 3D cause that is not the same game any more

i remember watching movie of sonic 2 HD fan remix and it was remade game in 2D with 3D graphic side scrolling like original that is what fans expect not a totally different game i wont say sonic heroes or sonic battle or even sonic seven rings is bad cause they are good games but its not what we grew up with

and its like what they did to mario every one did play mario and its good strong tittle but wtf is luigi mansion wtf is super mario 64 and why we need new super mario bross or mario superstar saga well they still are great games but should be made with totally different chars or something to not ruin our view of what we learned from the past

or mario sunshine mario galaxy wtf and why? it could be idk peach sunshine and toad galaxy would make allot more sens and would not be harmful to any 1

its like they from lets say batman they would make a shooting game where u walk with riffle or pistols well batman do not use weapons or spider-man riding a car
just wtf?

things like that ruins many ppl wishes feelings memories and dreams about what was in certain game

like that FF series i completed and played only 1 346 and mystic quest and only seen the rest
but i remember final fantasy even 7 have nothing to do with type-0 its totally different game that should not be done

or even more look at tales of phantasia they didnt make tales of phantasia part 2 or idk new story or any other retarded tittle like that

they made tales of eternia (or something like that) totally different game and thats how it should be done

well my nick says it all i like mega man imagine me seeing mega man soccer or mega man battle network just WTF!!!! but to tell you the truth it was good concept and worked out cause was very different from same games of that kind like for me megaman battle network have unique gameplay battle system story than other rpg games even its hard to compare it to any other rpg game that is the thing what justify too much new versions of 1 franchise

but not like sonic colors or new super mario bros it should already be son of mario or his grand son even more son of luigi cause thats how you should introduce new game mechanisms and things after you did the same over like 1000 times

cause as if we look at new super mario bros with fair eye well grew up mushroom is there fire flower is there coins are there koopas ar there and well what is it ? old game with new levels new weapons new moves better graphic and rest is old

its awesome game in my opinion but should not still be mario it really could be son of mario or even some new char

and look at zelda they know how to do it they made perfect job
each time i play new zelda game i know it will be different game and there only will be few things to remind me that im playing zelda AND NOT 70% of old zelda compiled with 30% of new stuff + better graphic in new game

thats why no 1 rages about zelad or about this franchise should die but go to idk google youtbue wherever and search for fans/games opinion about new sonic games regardless the fact that they are amazing games just look how ppl who played original hate it just WTF?

i hope now you understand me a little bit more Wink

just as side not - look at god of war epic game its same game from 1st part and same battle system from 1st part same story with variations but still they can push it in our asses with new branches of storyline new attacks moves that its still playable and giving pleasure while playing

but i believe soon it will suffer the same fate as sonic or final fantasy

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
09-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Well, I think I understood your point. Just think!

But for example, I really think that Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy is a real evolution of the Classic Super Mario. It’s still plataformer, and with similar challenges. The only difference is that it is 3D and it has some new mechanics. These games works really fine!

FFXIII is a real evolution of the old school Final Fantasy. It has some old mechanics, and some news. It also fit the Final Fantasy title!

In other hand I think Sonic is one of the games that fails to try to maintain the old school elements properly in a new designed game. And that’s too bad, because I really want a new sonic, full of classical and modern elements.

Let’s hope it happens sometime!

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

09-05-2014, 06:20 PM
ok let me put it this way

why moder sonic fails and modern zelda wins?

they did the same thing with this games but 1 fails and other did perfect job but why?

here is my opinion about what went wrong or what was wrong from the start

1st sonic games what they was about?
-running right or left but fast
-collecting rings
-jumping and killing

1st zelda games what they was about?
-story
-gannon
-ZELDA
-weapons/items
-and of course killing monsters/bosses

now look what changed in both games?
from 2D to 3D

and why it worked bad for sonic and not for zelda?

cause zelda games was never was based on 1 or 2 factors i mentioned above zelda games was always based on many fctors this ones
-story
-ZELDA
-weapons/items
-and of course killing monsters/bosses

and sonic ? what was making this game awesome?
-collecting rings
-jumping and killing

but but what was so iconic for sonic games?

and when it was gone replaced with storyline dialogues NEW/DIFFERENT gameplay style fans ware mad cause it was like totally different game not like next generation of sonic games

and in my opinion thats why zelda didnt fail and sonic did

and same for mario games there was a reason why yoshi islad was called youshi island and not mario & yoshi adventure

09-11-2014, 07:02 AM
I love retro games. I think every retro game worth your life playing.

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
09-23-2014, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 05:31 AM by ade32.)
Okay, I want to submit my opinion!
I was born in the 90s and I do not know other than ps1 console. I tend to the modern era because at that time I did not know there was a console other than the ps1. but I just realized and known other consoles this year by playing emulators.
I really know the ps1 but not have it, the first console I had was vi-com (I just understand vi-com is were-nes). after playing retro games with emulators, I conclude retro games that it is not less great with the modern.
and I salute the retro games that remain popular to this day like Zelda and Mario, they were awesome. but I was disappointed that in the days of retro gaming victorious but ruined in modern era like Final Fantasy (Final Fantasy xiii). hey @heisawan , final fantasy 13 is not the real evolution of previous final fantasy but obviously ff15 does. ff13's obviously the worst ff series( kotaku said that) , read below
Quote:Best known as The One Where You Walk In A Straight Line For 25 Hours, Final Fantasy XIII takes some really great components—eye-popping graphics, a killer battle theme, and fascinating combat—and packages them in a mediocre game. FFXIII's biggest problem, as I've written before, isn't that it's too linear: it's that the game discards all illusion or pretense of being an RPG. While games like Final Fantasy VII don't let you veer from the main plot all that much, you can still visit towns, talk to NPCs, and do interesting things that don't involve walking in a straight line, fighting, and watching cut-scenes. Gone are brilliant dungeons like the Ghost Train or the Babel Giant. Say farewell to fun mini-games like blitzball and Triple Triad. FFXIII is a shallow, lifeless experience that might be more forgivable if its writing wasn't so wretched. But hey, moms are tough.
check in http://kotaku.com/5979711/lets-rank-the-...t-to-worst .

ok, that is all

oh ya, hey @heisawan, i've got good news for u (probably you already knew) .ff13 trilogy goes to pc via steam. see at http://time.com/3403428/final-fantasy-xiii-pc/ .

my pc version:
windows 7 ultimate

my pc specs :
intel(R) core(TM)2 duo cpu
E7500 @2,93GHz
2,93GHz, 2,00 GB of RAM

sorry for bad english, i'm indonesian.
09-23-2014, 07:03 AM
i just wanna point guys its like music we love music with which we grow up with

and every future remix of our music adds something new and something nostalgic

its like perfect MIX of what connects future with the past same goes with games

and yesterday i found this retro stuff

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/sup...-crossover

not to modern but enjoyable allot

09-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Yo @ade32!! I don’t think FF 11 and 12 are real evolution of the Old School final fantasy titles. In other hand, I think the battle system of FFXIII was amazing, mixing the old and the modern perfectly. I also think that, a “linear RPG” is not a big problem. FF7 was linear too and also amazing! The only thing a I missed was the open world element!

I respect kotaku, but i still prefer the IGN review of the game!!

And hey, thank you for letting me know about the PC version!! I’m going to get it, for sure!

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM