Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Analog Stick Issues
08-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Analog Stick Issues
So I'm using a standard Microsoft brand Xbox 360 controller and for some reason with both sticks, there's an issue where a few degrees when pressing down/left near the "corner" it wigs out (like I slowly move it more left and I go from going southwest to south to southwest again) and sometimes becomes non-responsive as if I'm not pressing it down.

This might not be a very good explanation for the problem I'm having, but it has cost me a lot of points in Hot Shots Tennis. Is there anything I can do about the issue? I've sat and verified that it isn't my controller that's the problem by staring at the calibration information as I slowly rotate the stick. It's also only southwest I believe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Information RE: Analog Stick Issues
(08-21-2014 11:47 PM)gotex007 Wrote:  So I'm using a standard Microsoft brand Xbox 360 controller and for some reason with both sticks, there's an issue where a few degrees when pressing down/left near the "corner" it wigs out (like I slowly move it more left and I go from going southwest to south to southwest again) and sometimes becomes non-responsive as if I'm not pressing it down.

This might not be a very good explanation for the problem I'm having, but it has cost me a lot of points in Hot Shots Tennis. Is there anything I can do about the issue? I've sat and verified that it isn't my controller that's the problem by staring at the calibration information as I slowly rotate the stick. It's also only southwest I believe.
Hi there, welcome to the PPSSPP forums,

Are you by any chance using v0.9.9-94-ga5fec26 or later version of this emulator, the developers have included a custom Analog Limiter since then, and is found under the Controls Tab, right at the bottom of page on both PC & Android builds.
The default is now set at 0.60, but it used to be set at 0.50 I believe it was, so adjust that to whatever your Analog sticks require to run correctly in your case.

Hope that helps. Cool
08-22-2014, 09:48 AM
RE: Analog Stick Issues
I'm using the latest version I think. The "About" says v0.9.9.

I do not see said option in the menu. I can find it in the config file itself and there's a hotkey/control labeled "Analog limiter" that's default set to kbd.RShift, but that's all.
08-23-2014, 06:09 AM
Turns out I was wrong and didn't have the up to date version. However, changing that setting to 100 and to 0 had seeming zero effect at all on the sticks and does not fix my problem.
08-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Analog limiter is pretty much a "walk" key for devices without analog sticks, completely unrelated to your issue.

Xbox 360 controllers seems to have long history of inconsistent issues that affect some people only on ppsspp, usually having an issue while mapping d-pad to both d-pad and right analog, nothing about your issue, so it's either new problem or happens only to you which would mean it's probably some way damaged even if it doesn't show while calibrating.:| Maybe try mapping movement to right analog just to check if the issue also happens on it ~ if it doesn't it would point even more that it's your gamepad problems, since they technically should work same way.

If it does happen with right stick as well, maybe check your config to make sure you didn't mapped multiply controls to same action since that's where MS pads were always failing for others. If it doesn't help, it might be a new problem so you might also consider opening a new issue on github or checking older/newer ppsspp versions from buildbot.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-23-2014, 09:33 PM
I have the D-pad mapped to the right stick and it has the same issue as the left stick.

Having the D-pad on both the pad and right stick is the only multiple config on the controller that I have. The others also have their keyboard counterparts, but that really shouldn't be an issue right? I don't have these stick issues on any other game/emulator other than ppsspp either.

And it's a problem on v9.9 and v9.9.1 from the main site so I'd like to assume it's not a version issue. I could try these other more recent development versions I guess but I don't see it fixing my problem.
08-23-2014, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 11:29 PM by gotex007.)
So I ended up trying out the latest development version (which is way too freaking loud because they removed sound options somewhere along the way because they "don't actually work in all games") and the only difference is that on the right stick I now have the issues with the west-southwest to southwest area instead of the still occurring issue with the left stick in the south-southwest to southwest area.

Edit: I also submitted a ticket on github.