Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Memory cards & Savestates after upgrading
08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Memory cards & Savestates after upgrading
I'm sure this is addressed somewhere but after a good bit of skimming I'm just not seeing any similar threads.

The problem I'm having is probably pretty common, considering how many updates PPSSPP has endured (Thank you for keeping it updated regularly, I really appreciate it!)

Every time I try a new build of PPSSPP, when I copy my old save files over directly from the old builds folder, the memory card is always read as corrupt. This is also typically an issue with savestates as well.

Is there a method of importing all of that, or do I just need to restart progress for any games played on a new build?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Memory cards & Savestates after upgrading
There is nothing special,you can even just move the new ppsspp exe into the old folder,detele the settings from(\memstick\PSP\SYSTEM\ppsspp.ini)and start the new ppsspp exe.

The problems are:
1.You need to delete your settings because sometimes old settings are not compatible with the new ppsspp version and ppsspp may crash
2.Save states are often not compatible with the newer ppsspp version(not always but most of the time)
3.Normal saves...there are some games that will not be able to load old saves(there is a change to ppsspp that will make some old saves to not work now).One example is KHBBSFM(patched).
I found that if you set EncryptSave to false and save again using the ppsspp version on which the saves work,then you will be able to load them on the newer ppsspp version.

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
08-19-2014, 08:30 PM
When I download a new version of ppsspp I always take the memstick folder from the older version and drop it in the new one. Then I delete the old ppsspp folder and place the new one where the old one used to be. I've never had any issues. Do you move the new ppsspp to where the old one used to be? I didn't do that once and I got some error when I tried to start up a game but it worked again after I moved the folder.
08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Moving can't corrupt your saves...I've been moving tons of saves to tons of different ppsspp version because I often download betas and try saves on them(to see if something is fixed or broken).The only time I encounter a "corrupted" save is when I was trying my really old KHBBSFM save into some recent ppsspp build but I explained how the problem got fixed

On which games ppsspp say that the save is corrupted?

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
08-20-2014, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 01:06 PM by Inocuole.)
Incidentally this did have to do with KHBBSFM specifically, as well as FF Dissidia, but yeah, what I specifically do is grab the whole memstick folder and paste it into its location within the new build's directory. What you said makes a lot of sense as to why it doesn't work, and frankly I'm pretty sure I already overwrote the corrupt memcard data so it really doesn't even matter anymore, other than moving forward. Thanks for the tip about encryptsave!

At this point I'd almost rather just play through it again for fun than complain about losing the data though, heh.