Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Audio Stuttering
08-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Audio Stuttering
Hello, im using Acer A1-830, game Monster Hunter : Freedom Unite.
Im experiencing unpleasant audio stuttering in this game.
My framerate is almost always on 30.
With some experiencing, ive found out, that Frame Skipping set on 1 fixes the issue, but sadly, makes my framerate not go over 15.
Is there a way to both fix the audio issue, and not lose half of my framerate?
Also, using newest PPSSPP, 0.99 something something.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2014, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 08:12 PM by The Phoenix.)
Information RE: Audio Stuttering
(08-16-2014 07:01 PM)Nekolacek Wrote:  Hello, im using Acer A1-830, game Monster Hunter : Freedom Unite.
Im experiencing unpleasant audio stuttering in this game.
My framerate is almost always on 30.
With some experiencing, ive found out, that Frame Skipping set on 1 fixes the issue, but sadly, makes my framerate not go over 15.
Is there a way to both fix the audio issue, and not lose half of my framerate?
Also, using newest PPSSPP, 0.99 something something.
Hi there my friend, welcome to the PPSSPP forums.

After doing a bit of research i see that is the Acer Iconia A1-830 Dual core tablet with the same GPU as mine (Spec's at bottom of my comments).
Could you upload your emulator settings either as screen shots or write them as a comment please, thank you.
Edit: here is something to try though, on the System tab, 'change emulated PSP's CPU Clock' to 60, make sure you exit out of emulator to allow it to save that setting, then restart emulator & game, see if that helps for starters.
08-16-2014, 08:24 PM
RE: Audio Stuttering
Alright, 60 cpu thingy sadly did nothing, also, thanks for welcome Smile
Settings are in attachments, i hope.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-16-2014, 09:36 PM
(08-16-2014 08:24 PM)Nekolacek Wrote:  Alright, 60 cpu thingy sadly did nothing, also, thanks for welcome Smile
Settings are in attachments, i hope.
Okay then, try these settings and let me know if successful or not. Cool

08-16-2014, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 10:05 PM by Nekolacek.)
I've tried, stuttering is still there sadly, framerate is same aswell, only thing that changed is that im having graphical artifacts in backround Big Grin
Btw. Using version 0.9.9.83.g5c9722c

Also, since im here, any idea how to get multiplayer in MH:FU working on android tablet? (I know, kinda offtopic ._. , the sound issue is my biggest concern still)
08-16-2014, 10:35 PM
Information RE: Audio Stuttering
(08-16-2014 09:56 PM)Nekolacek Wrote:  I've tried, stuttering is still there sadly, framerate is same aswell, only thing that changed is that im having graphical artifacts in backround Big Grin
Btw. Using version 0.9.9.83.g5c9722c

Also, since im here, any idea how to get multiplayer in MH:FU working on android tablet? (I know, kinda offtopic ._. , the sound issue is my biggest concern still)
Sorry to hear that, must just be a glitch in that game, no matter what you do it seems.
Search the forums there are threads on that subject available.
08-16-2014, 10:39 PM
I dunno, frameskip fixes the problem, but kills my framerate :'(
08-19-2014, 12:38 AM
And auto frameskip isn't good enough to improve the audio?

Audio is going to sound terrible if it drops below 100% from time to time. You can try setting the HW scaler to 1x PSP. This may improve performance especially if you have a high resolution device (Acer A1-830 seems to be 1024x768 - this would reduce to 480x272 which should take 16% as much fillrate.)

Also recommend setting spline quality to medium, although probably that game doesn't use it anyway.

The texture coord speedhack only causes weird glitches in a few games, if it works here you may get some boost from it.

-[Unknown]
08-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Autoframwakip doesnt do anything, i experience only lower framerate with it?
When i enable frameskip 1, sound is all ok, but framerate gets limited to 15fps for some reason.
1xPsP res doesnt do anything for me but making the game look like shit, sound issues are still there.
I had texture coord speedhack both enabled and disabled, zero difference.

As i said, problem isnt that i dont have enough fps, game is running fine at all situations, either if im in town or getting eaten by tigrex.
Also, ive noticed that the sound issue is mostly when there is a lot of noises or just a few loud ones, example, town music plaing and elder saying that ' jo,jo" and sound gets absolutely butchered when i press X on pig in town (the music during petting piggy)
08-19-2014, 02:23 PM
It's not some reason.

Frameskip 1 means "always skip 1 frame". Therefore, 30 will change to 15, because it skips 50% of all frames. Frameskip 2 would skip 66%.

Auto frameskip (with frameskip set to 1) would mean "only skip 1 frame if necessary", so you ought to get between 15 and 30 fps with that. It will never skip 2 frames (unless you set it to frameskip 2.)

If you're getting scratchy sound that sounds fine with frameskip on, it is probably because of fps. Just to clarify, if you got a 100% stable 29 fps, sound would be crap.

-[Unknown]
08-19-2014, 04:09 PM
So... Is there a way to uncap the fps to 60? Or what am i supposed to do then?
08-20-2014, 02:05 AM
If you want the game to run at 2x speed, then sure, you can uncap the fps. Otherwise, you'll have to contact the developer of the game or ask some romhacker to modify the game for you.

-[Unknown]
08-21-2014, 07:47 PM
And how exatly modify?
08-21-2014, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 09:36 PM by Bigpet.)
(08-21-2014 07:47 PM)Nekolacek Wrote:  And how exatly modify?

You look at the assembly in the debugger and try to find how the game caps the fps to 30, modify that and hope that it doesn't break the game (you know, like unknown said, rom-hacking). Modification can either be done directly in the executable (i.e. modifying the eboot.bin in a hex editor) or better you can use the cheat system to modify the executable code in the emulated ram.

edit: oh in case that wasn't clear "modify" means "replace some cpu instructions with other cpu intructions"
08-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Aaaand... Could somebody here who already did this and already has experience do it for me?