Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
laggy 15fps on Octacore 2.3 ghz cpu Tab S
08-13-2014, 12:59 PM
laggy 15fps on Octacore 2.3 ghz cpu Tab S
Hi

First of all I must say that Im really impresses with the ppsspp speed on Android. But it seems like people with low specs devices are getting things to run much faster then me.

Im running this on Galaxy Tab S which has 8 core cpu 2.3ghz. 3GB of RAM. Its very jerky and with frameskips and every other trick in the book, its mostly around 15fps with kaggy sound. I read that this emu us not working well with snapdragon cpus. Could that be it? And if thats the case, is there any hope if better snapdragon support in the future.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2014, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2014 03:22 PM by fivefeet8.)
RE: laggy 15fps on Octacore 2.3 ghz cpu Tab S
The device has a marketing gimmick of 8 cores, but only 4 are used at a time. Either the fast cores at 1.9 ghertz, or the slower power saving cores at 1.3 ghertz. It's not a true 8 Core CPU since you can't use all 8 at the same time. And it's also running the Exynos CPU, not the Snapdragon chips, so it has the Mali T628 GPU. But I don't believe you have the Exynos if the CPU is running at 2.3 ghertz. You may have the LTE version which has a Snapdragon 8xx chipset with an Adreno 330.

Most games should run ok with framebuffer disabled. Things have improved a lot from before, but Adreno devices still cannot run most games with it enabled.
08-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Im on the wifi only version. T800 model. In any case it should be pretty fast.

Framebuffer is alreasy disabled. Ppsspp dont showthe cpu name but the gpu is Mali T628

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-13-2014, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2014 03:46 PM by fivefeet8.)
If it's using the Mali T628, then you've got the Exynos 8 Core CPU at a max of 1.9 Ghertz(4 fast cores) and 1.3 ghertz(4 slow cores).

You could try lowering your internal resolution setting to 2x. That may improve performance some, but my Snapdragon 800 Note3 still has issues with performance on most games so I doubt you'll get much better. Although I've heard the Mali chips should run better than Adreno. Have you tried what is suggested from the Sticky thread for Android performance?
08-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Wow... I played around with settings and enabled texture coordinate speedhadk. Now tekken6 is running at 30fps at 100% speed with only 1 frameskip Smile and no laggy sound.