Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How good is PPSSPP on the Nvidia Shield Tablet?
08-01-2014, 12:02 AM
How good is PPSSPP on the Nvidia Shield Tablet?
With the recent release of the Shield Tablet, how good is PSP emulation on it?

I remember that the Nvidia Shield had some trouble handling the more demanding PSP games. That said

Anyone here able to give their impressions on how PSP games have run on the Shield tablet, compared to their other android devices?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2014, 03:39 PM
RE: How good is PPSSPP on the Nvidia Shield Tablet?
Well God of war ghosts of Sparta seems to run pretty close to full speed for me, but the frame rate still isn't quite there
09-29-2014, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 12:56 PM by Alexia2233.)
(09-29-2014 03:39 PM)donzbegonz Wrote:  Well God of war ghosts of Sparta seems to run pretty close to full speed for me, but the frame rate still isn't quite there

What is your settings? I have a computer with a i7 Core and GT640M and it ran great at full speed. Change your buffer default to Buffered rendering. You'll get some frame rate. If that does not work, try speeding it up. If that does not work, then try a different tablet. I recommend a windows tablet like Dell Venue Pro 8. They say that one is good. Or get a device that at least have a i7 Core or a GT640M. You may not find a GT640M, but you could like buy the graphics card and replace on your computer or tablet (?).

09-30-2014, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 02:28 AM by fivefeet8.)
https://www.youtube.com/user/fivefeet8

Runs pretty sweet in most games without frameskip. Not something you can say with most Android devices. The differences between my Shield Tablet and my Note 3(Snapdragon 800) is like night and day. Most games only run well with 2xNative on my Note 3 with some frameskipping. On my Shield Tablet, most games run at 4xNative with no frameskipping and FXAA enabled. Using shaders on my Note 3 brings down performance noticeable in many games.
09-30-2014, 04:02 AM
It's hard to describe what I'm getting with the default settings.
It's like I'm getting 95% speed which is great, but the frame rate isn't full so it looks laggy. I don't know if that makes sense.
Also I'm getting audio stuttering as well which is just rather annoying.
I was able to play ghosts of Sparta all of the way through but it was tough. I really battled through haha.
09-30-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 07:25 AM by DarkBolo.)
On my PC(specs in sig) game was working at full speed on default settings.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 OC @ 3.0GHZ stock cooling
Ge-Force GTX 260 896mb
4GB RAM Corsair 1066mhz
Windows 7 X64 ultimate
09-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I'd be really interested in hearing from other shield tablet owners what settings have worked best in their experience
09-30-2014, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 01:07 PM by Alexia2233.)
(09-30-2014 04:02 AM)donzbegonz Wrote:  It's hard to describe what I'm getting with the default settings.
It's like I'm getting 95% speed which is great, but the frame rate isn't full so it looks laggy. I don't know if that makes sense.
Also I'm getting audio stuttering as well which is just rather annoying.
I was able to play ghosts of Sparta all of the way through but it was tough. I really battled through haha.

I suggest you contact the creator of the ppsspp, Henrick, to help you fix your problem. He is on here, he is the administrator. I will try helping you as much as I can. in your sound, you will need to set the audio latency to medium. It will help you reduce some lag. Also enable sound hack as well if you want. Check your tablet specs to see if it matches the PPSSPP requirements.

(09-30-2014 02:26 AM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/user/fivefeet8

Runs pretty sweet in most games without frameskip. Not something you can say with most Android devices. The differences between my Shield Tablet and my Note 3(Snapdragon 800) is like night and day. Most games only run well with 2xNative on my Note 3 with some frameskipping. On my Shield Tablet, most games run at 4xNative with no frameskipping and FXAA enabled. Using shaders on my Note 3 brings down performance noticeable in many games.

Huh, really? Does it run well though?
09-30-2014, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 01:47 PM by fivefeet8.)
(09-30-2014 12:58 PM)Alexia2233 Wrote:  Huh, really? Does it run well though?

It runs very well. If you check my youtube channel, I have many videos of PPSSPP running games at full speed on the tablet.

(09-29-2014 08:53 PM)Alexia2233 Wrote:  You may not find a GT640M, but you could like buy the graphics card and replace on your computer or tablet (?).

Unfortunately, you can't swap out the graphics gpu on Tablets. They're integrated into the SOC.
09-30-2014, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 02:55 PM by donzbegonz.)
Interesting. In a youtube video, the guy had Ghosts of Sparta running on his NVIDIA shield tablet at full speed and full framerate, but the audio was disabled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J3WkjpZOk0

I never thought to disable the audio. I always thought that my Shield Tablet should definitely have enough juice with its K1 processor. Turns out the whole problem is audio causing lag.

I wonder if a fix can be found for this soon in the emulator, because I think the exact same thing is happening when I play GTA: Vice City Stories

(09-30-2014 01:45 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 12:58 PM)Alexia2233 Wrote:  Huh, really? Does it run well though?

It runs very well. If you check my youtube channel, I have many videos of PPSSPP running games at full speed on the tablet.

FiveFeet I enjoyed your YouTube channel. Looks like you are having great success getting both MupenAE and PPSSPP to work on your NVIDIA Shield tablet. Funnily enough those are the only two emulators I care about getting to work on my Shield tablet haha. I also thoroughly enjoyed the way you experiment with different texture packs with Mupen.

For Mupen which plugin do you find the most success with? For me I seem to have most success with Glide64 Plugin, but I have to lower the resolution to 800x600 for it to run at proper speeds.

And I would love to see your PPSSPP settings, Even though I think the problems I'm having are because of audio bugs in the emulator.
10-07-2014, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:25 AM by Alexia2233.)
Sure! I will check out your youtube channel!
So you can't replace graphic cards on tablets huh? That sucks.
10-07-2014, 03:06 PM
(09-30-2014 02:38 PM)donzbegonz Wrote:  FiveFeet I enjoyed your YouTube channel. Looks like you are having great success getting both MupenAE and PPSSPP to work on your NVIDIA Shield tablet. Funnily enough those are the only two emulators I care about getting to work on my Shield tablet haha. I also thoroughly enjoyed the way you experiment with different texture packs with Mupen.

For Mupen which plugin do you find the most success with? For me I seem to have most success with Glide64 Plugin, but I have to lower the resolution to 800x600 for it to run at proper speeds.

And I would love to see your PPSSPP settings, Even though I think the problems I'm having are because of audio bugs in the emulator.

I'm glad you enjoyed my videos. I had fun making them. For Mupen, I normally use Rice's video plugin because it has support for Texture packs. The Glide64 plugin included in the emulator currently doesn't support them. Although I do find the Glide64 plugin has better compatibility. I'm really excited about Gonetz's project for creating a new OpenGL plugin for N64 emulators which recently got full funding for an Android port too. That's going to be an awesome plugin for N64 emulators.

As for my settings on PPSSPP, I normally use the default settings with the graphics performance optimizations ticked on except for "disable slower effects" and "Spline/Bezier curves quality" on high. All other options are on default. I did experiment with the "Simulate block transfer" option and disabling it speeded up some games noticeably. But it's is required for games like Star Ocean.
10-08-2014, 05:31 AM
Interesting. I'm excited for the gonetz project too, but it will probably only be released in January
Sad not to mention the android port will probably take longer
10-08-2014, 01:38 PM
(10-08-2014 05:31 AM)donzbegonz Wrote:  Interesting. I'm excited for the gonetz project too, but it will probably only be released in January
Sad not to mention the android port will probably take longer

I should mention that I've set the Nvidia Shield Tablet to maximum performance mode. I've noticed it actually makes a difference in openGL applications.
11-29-2017, 03:08 AM
Hey Guys just wanted to say that PPSSPP the latest version works great on my Nvidia shield tablet, I made a youtube video showing one of my favorite PSP games Valkyria Chronicles 3 Extra Edition running on my rooted 7.0 Tablet non-k1 edition this is the OG edition. here is the video enjoy! Also if there is another game you want me to try out on it let me know I will try to run it on my tablet .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKTXzNm2U-k