Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can this PC play PS2 emulator...
07-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Question Can this PC play PS2 emulator...
Can it run PS2 without framerate issues?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2014, 02:26 AM
RE: Can this PC play PS2 emulator...
Checked the video description and some of the comments but I couldn't find a price tag within 14 seconds so I gave up.
07-31-2014, 02:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 02:34 AM by TheDax.)
PCSX2 only uses up to 3 cores iirc (when you're not using software rendering), so the additional cores won't help at all (they'd be nice for system responsiveness to have other apps open while you're gaming, but that's about it). Emulation is more about raw CPU power (e.g. instructions per clock to a huge extent, and clock speed, to a lesser extent) than number of cores. It costs a lot of CPU time to sync threads (which is why PPSSPP really isn't that much faster with multithreading).

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
07-31-2014, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 09:58 AM by Terminator.)
So with the CPU of this machine, what kind of performance can we expect on this CoreMC Gen 3 ?
07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
It should run most PS2 games full speed. According to the specs page, the 16 Core CPU version has the highest clocked CPU at 3.8 Ghz max.
07-31-2014, 04:20 PM
Should? should is not good enough. When will a time come when we can be confident in saying Yes, this machine WILL be able to play PCSX2 at full speed without a shadow of a doubt. When will that time come? 5 years from now.. 10 years? and how long before we can play PCSX2 FULL SPEED on mobile devices running Android, iOS, Windows mobile, Tizen e.t.c.
07-31-2014, 04:46 PM
(07-31-2014 04:20 PM)Terminator Wrote:  Should? should is not good enough. When will a time come when we can be confident in saying Yes, this machine WILL be able to play PCSX2 at full speed without a shadow of a doubt. When will that time come? 5 years from now.. 10 years? and how long before we can play PCSX2 FULL SPEED on mobile devices running Android, iOS, Windows mobile, Tizen e.t.c.

There are few absolutes when dealing with emulators. There's a limit to how much processing power can overcome limitations with the software itself.
07-31-2014, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 05:12 PM by Terminator.)
Okay, so the worlds fastest SUPERCOMPUTER (June 2014) The - Tianhe-2 (developed by a team of 1,300 scientists and engineers) will that be able to play PCSX 2 at full speed? even with the known issues of the emulators software/build, Will the supercomputer over-ride these framerate drops and other glitches e.t.c and play all compatible PSCX 2 titles at a flawless 60 fps? if not... then i'm going to forget about even thinking about emulating PS2 on my future Tablet or Smartphone.

If you don't know what supercomputer i'm talking about, read and watch below, it surely can run PS2 flawlessly right? you're not doubting anything right?

More info on the Tianhe-2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianhe-2

Video of Tianhe-2:

07-31-2014, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2014 06:19 PM by fivefeet8.)
I should have meant to say "practical" hardware. Big Grin Although with that "Super Computer", it will run PCSX2 without framedrops, but not flawless as there are still going to be issues with rendering that have nothing to do with performance.

Something doesn't have to run flawless to be good though. I can see a PS2 emulator running on Tablets in the future with advances in hardware and software. Maybe not flawless, but well enough for most.