Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
AMD-Driver-Crash (Radeon 7570)
07-29-2014, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 04:32 PM by ZeroMaku.)
Exclamation AMD-Driver-Crash (Radeon 7570)
After I looked through the threads and hoped to find any solutions, I have to say that nothing really worked and I opened this thread.
First post btw, so hello all together ~

Okay my problem:

The PPSSPP-Emulator crashes after several minutes of gameplay because the AMD-driver crashed. So I looked in this forum after solutions and found the Catalyst 11.11a driver. But at first, I haven't found any download-links, and for second, this driver apparently is used for the 4X/5X/6X(?)-series of Radeon.

The other solution I've found was to disable the Catalyst AI in the Catalyst Control Center. But in this program there isn't an option for disabling this AI, neither is it in the "profiles.xml".

Because of the neither found, nor working 11.11a-driver I'm using the 14.7-RC1-driver. And, as it is written in title, I'm using the AMD Radeon HD7570

So my question is simply: Is there anything I can do, that PPSSPP will work normally? Are there any solutions? Because I really struggle with this problem - for weeks.

Thanks for your attention ~

- Maku

Oh I forgot: Of course, I'm using the newest release of PPSSPP (0.9.9)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: AMD-Driver-Crash (Radeon 7570)
Please, aren't there any solutions?
Anyone?
._.
07-31-2014, 09:34 AM
I believe the "Catalyst AI" option was renamed to something like "Surface Format Optimization" in newer ATI drivers*. Solarmystic or another ATI user would probably know better than I would.

*I don't own an ATI card, I'm simply going on what I remember hearing.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
07-31-2014, 09:26 PM
^What TheDax said. Look for the Surface Format Optimization option and disable it.

Unfortunately, since I do not own a 7xxx/R series card (with the GCN architecture), I'm not so sure which drivers would be best for your card. They may very well have their own sweet spot when it comes to drivers that are best for PPSSPP.

When it comes to AMD drivers and OpenGL applications, newest doesn't always mean best.

If you're willing to get to the bottom of the issue, you could experiment with older drivers from the 14.x series until you find one that works well with PPSSPP.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-01-2014, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 01:25 PM by ZeroMaku.)
Thanks for your help, first.
For the moment I'm doing my best to reinstall this Catalyst Control Center (not that easy, some error-messages) and than I'll look for this Surface Format Optimization.

Okay, in the Catalyst Control Center, there isn't any option like Surface Format Optimization.
Neither there is a "Gaming" Tab ._.
08-02-2014, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 06:54 AM by ZeroMaku.)
Okay, so far so good.
The main problem was Windows 8, how surprising.
If anyone has the same Problem with the Catalyst Control Center:
Update to Windows 8.1!

How I've disabled the Option.
And I pray, that it works now - I'm testing~

Okay, so far so good.
The main problem was Windows 8, how surprising.
If anyone has the same Problem with the Catalyst Control Center:
Update to Windows 8.1!

How I've disabled the Option.
And I pray, that it works now - I'm testing~

RESULT: It works!!
It worrrks!! Can't believe it, turned it on and it WORKS!
Thank you all for yout help, here with my first post =D

So - Windows 8.1 + latest AMD-Driver + Disable Surface Format Optimization = working PPSSPP