Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is the "PS4 emulator" PS4EMX for real? (No!)
07-05-2014, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2014 06:59 PM by Henrik.)
Is the "PS4 emulator" PS4EMX for real? (No!)
I've been following it for a few weeks out of curiosity, and it appears to not get improvement much ... it doesn't even have a CPU emulation down yet (just defines for it). And I can't even understand lots of parts of the rest of the project.

Nevertheless, it's been added to lots of wiki/wikia sites for emulation/emulators and I've been hearing about it a bit in the emulation scene, but is this for real or some kind of joke? It looks amateurish. Then again you never know....
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2014, 09:06 PM
RE: Is the "PS4 emulator" PS4EMX for real?
It is amateurish and the "contributors" like to troll other forums and projects (xenia, rpcs3 and pcsx2), a lot. Be happy that they haven't found interest in trolling ppsspp yet.

It's a project seems full of "ideas guy" people. That like to spout nonsense all day long and act like having the "idea" to make a ps4 emulator is being half-way there.
07-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Wow, really? Trolling? I had no idea. It just seems weird that if they are making a fake emulator they would just do as all the other fakers do and make fake videos and a website and stuff ... but despite the amateurish-ness of it I can't tell if it is just new or crappy programmers legitimately attempting to emulate PS4 hardware somewhat or just pure douchebags trying to make non-programmers think it is real. Code updates are very minor (but still seem legit somewhat) and their FAQ states that "emulating the CPU is not a concern" or such. Can't tell what the motive is: literally trying to get an emulator out of this or screwing with people.
07-05-2014, 11:26 PM
From the behavior it seems like they're not skilled enough to pull it off and not knowledgable enough to know that they're not skilled enough. I seems their "idea" was to "get the ball rolling", start doing "something" and hope to attract people to who actually do "something useful". I don't think it's pure malice like all the fakes that link to viruses or demand money, just inexperience bordering on idiocy.
07-05-2014, 11:39 PM
(07-05-2014 11:26 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  From the behavior it seems like they're not skilled enough to pull it off and not knowledgable enough to know that they're not skilled enough. I seems their "idea" was to "get the ball rolling", start doing "something" and hope to attract people to who actually do "something useful". I don't think it's pure malice like all the fakes that link to viruses or demand money, just inexperience bordering on idiocy.

And they are apparently taking donations from PayPal based on the link in their Github ... the question might be if people are donating, are they really using the money to help the project or to stuff their pockets on others hopes?
07-06-2014, 05:26 AM
I would say it's pretty clear what they want, basically this is a project to fund them all a free hardware. They even wrote that on their project page - don't have the consoles, games, pc with blu ray drive nor even experience of any kind in this.
Seems like a kickstarter for beer, except the hardware costs much more than beer. If anyone donates for that it'll be his/her tax for stupidity.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
07-06-2014, 05:54 AM
(07-06-2014 05:26 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  I would say it's pretty clear what they want, basically this is a project to fund them all a free hardware. They even wrote that on their project page - don't have the consoles, games, pc with blu ray drive nor even experience of any kind in this.
Seems like a kickstarter for beer, except the hardware costs much more than beer. If anyone donates for that it'll be his/her tax for stupidity.

Based on the Git codebase they appear to (though very poorly) know C++ and programming concepts to some extent. Assuming they are just doing this to get funding for new computers and have no interest in the project as a functional emulator, why would their coding suggest some degree of seriousness then?

And some other weird things about PS4EMX is that the project was originally started on SourceForge by ghaststeam, but they closed it there and then it went to Github ... but the main poster barely added any code. Soon later a User named bellysaga, who can be found on Tom's Hardware defending the PS4 "emulator", began adding commits and the only other User who has been doing so is named embrendassy ... which has a project fork of PCSX2 claiming to be a port for ARM for Android/iOS. On a YouTube video with a fake emulator I found a like to a PS2 emulator project that supposedly was called "EmotionSoiD" ... there was a fake app dressed as a supposed PS2 hosted on Box ... the name used was "Brenda" ... which seems relative to "Embrendassy". And the User bellysaga was claimed to be related to the user ghaststeam on the RPCS3 forums ... and on top of all that, one of the "contributors" names is "mushroom1" ... there was a user who would repeatedly tall of RPCS3 supporting low level emulation named mushroom on emunewz.net ... and they forked RPCS3 ... and another user that goes by the name Haagens was denied a pull request from the project, despite them also being associated with the other users. This is just beyond strange ......
07-06-2014, 08:02 AM
This is not a fake in a way to promise to run games, because no promises like that are made, this is also not sold, just asks for donations. But it is a scam in term of feeding over people's wishes, just exactly as many of the kickstarter projects which promised something just to deliver crappy product made on unity engine(in which even a child can code a simple game) and leave on a long vacation.

I mention kickstarter example for a reason, because there people are doing the same thing, try to convince you into thinking they can do something. In this example you get some code and bullshit with technical language that most people don't really understand just to convince potential donator.

If someone doesn't have a red light after reading that someone have 0 material and experience to work with yet asks for funding a project that should be based on it, then I have no more comments, for me it's just naive to even consider it's started out for anything else than personal gain. Personally I wouldn't really want to get involved in it even if someday in the future it could actually turn into emulator.

The truth is, ps4 emulation cannot be started right now and nobody who belives in emulation would consider announcing it even if all required info/documentation would be leaked. Why? I guess Coldbird explained it nicely while leaving the scene, when some of his work over PS vita was leaked by some idiot. It was about hacking, but pretty much same thing applies to emulation, nobody involved in it wants to kill the system and hacking the console and starting emulator so quickly would pretty end it's life. You would then be able to emulate games few years faster, but have only few of them to choose from.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
Thread Closed