Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Discussion about future of PCSX2 development
07-04-2014, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2014 08:26 PM by Arborea.)
RE: Discussion about future of PCSX2 development
(07-04-2014 06:09 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Yes, the AVG thing is blasphemy. I wasn't super happy about the whole Gold personal beer-money donation thing, if the official releases of PPSSPP started coming with some toolbar you wouldn't see another commit from me.

Anyway, such a topic as that one on pcsx2's forum is ultimately just a pile of flames. Both sides are saying things that are completely true. That isn't going to get anyone anywhere. At best it will fire someone up, piss someone else off, and end up a wash.

I had been looking at pcsx2 before. It seemed difficult to get a PS2 set up to run hardware tests, and the code was messy. Also, do understand that the hardware seems very complex. Surely much much much harder than the PSP to emulate, which is almost a cakewalk in comparison (can't speak for Wii/Gamecube.)

Anyway, the main reason I didn't contribute to pcsx2 (at the time, now it would be AVG) was the opposite of the reason I did contribute to ppsspp: I don't like fighting users/hacks. When I first saw ppsspp, it could play like 1 game. So, it was really interesting - I'd never worked on an emulator before really, it'd be fun to play around. With pcsx2, I'm sure I could probably figure out some inaccuracies. Maybe make it faster. But I'd definitely break something, people would complain, hacks wouldn't work, it'd just be a mess.

Unfortunately, that's just not a very constructive reason for not contributing. It boils down to me being lazy; if I had the drive, I'd find something in pcsx2, people would complain and gnaw their teeth, and I'd see it through. But I just don't. It's a hard problem. It's simply not interesting enough to fight the battle.

If it had less hacks, this problem would be less so. But at the same time, probably less games would work or run on computers people have at decent speeds, so users would not test the new versions anyway. Catch 22s are not fun.

Point of my post: the situation sucks for everyone. There's no clear win.

-[Unknown]

It seems GSDX is particularly hard to understand can you make anything of GSDX ? . But basing emulation on hacks wasnt good idea there shouldnt be hacks in the first place. PCSX2 can run many games but many them have have terrible bugs, missing effects , shadows even textures etc and code base is mess so I think it would be interesting challenge but I understand many open source developers dont like stuff like bundled toolbars still would be great if you could consider ever making some contributions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion about future of PCSX2 development - Arborea - 07-04-2014 06:28 PM