Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ATI 4k series OpenGL crash even with proper version of driver.
06-26-2014, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 09:36 AM by Nightquaker.)
ATI 4k series OpenGL crash even with proper version of driver.
Hello there :3
I have a problem with a recent version of emulator I downloaded, which is revision 1277 of 0.9.8.
You know about the emulator OpenGL crashes on legacy AMD cards?
Well, this issue have been solved by using OpenGL files (atioglxx.dll and atiogl.xml) from driver version 11.11a and putting them into emulator folder.
This solution doesn't work anymore in revision past 1250. So, what's up with that?
Error message is usual "EmuThread timed out" and usual driver recovery from a GPU side.
P.S. I always download a 32bit version of emulator, as atioglxx.dll is a 32bit version of OpenGL driver and it gets picked up by it, that includes the revision I mentioned. Emulator picks it up, but still crashes for whatever reason.

Also, before you ask me to post a log: I have created a logs folder and enabled debug logging in developer options menu, but logs don't seem to be created. Launging PPSSPP via DebugLog.bat doesn't help either.

Thank you :3

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: ATI 4k series OpenGL crash even with proper version of driver.
(06-26-2014 08:59 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  Well, this issue have been solved by using OpenGL files (atioglxx.dll and atiogl.xml) from driver version 11.11a and putting them

Please don't do this, just install drivers as a whole, debugging copy pasta'd dll setups is just terrible. A GPU driver is more than just a *.dll so what you're doing is using 2 parts of a gpu driver with different versions.
06-26-2014, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 09:34 AM by Nightquaker.)
(06-26-2014 09:22 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(06-26-2014 08:59 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  Well, this issue have been solved by using OpenGL files (atioglxx.dll and atiogl.xml) from driver version 11.11a and putting them

Please don't do this, just install drivers as a whole, debugging copy pasta'd dll setups is just terrible. A GPU driver is more than just a *.dll so what you're doing is using 2 parts of a gpu driver with different versions.

Not really. It's a very simple replacement that works wonder with all kinds of OpenGL applications, including PPSSPP. Hell, it's even a common fix for Minecraft crashes. And to be honest, it worked flawlessly with previous revisions of PPSSPP (980 would be the last one for me).
And considering that you're probably pointing out the "whole driver" from its DirectX perspective, situation with OpenGL portion of it is much more simple, especially with 32bit applications.
Also, 11.11a driver itself is crap for anything else besides of OpenGL. It's very outdated and barely even works in modern games. Using a whole 11.11a driver package is my last resort and I won't do it until the need arises.

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64
06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
(06-26-2014 09:34 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  And considering that you're probably pointing out the "whole driver" from its DirectX perspective

I'm not, do I have to draw you a picture? Look at this then:
[Image: XAnICKV.png]
06-26-2014, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 10:04 AM by Nightquaker.)
(06-26-2014 09:57 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(06-26-2014 09:34 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  And considering that you're probably pointing out the "whole driver" from its DirectX perspective

I'm not, do I have to draw you a picture? Look at this then:
[Image: XAnICKV.png]

That is right, but at the very end, it worked with previous revision. Why doesn't it work now?
Have there been any major changes to the emulator's core or something?
My point is that it can't just simply stop working for no apparent reason, so there must be something that broke it. All I want is to find a solution aside from installing a whole 11.11a driver package.
It also seems that anything for my card that is above 11.11a has a broken OpenGL driver, due to lazy asses from AMD not supporting so called 'Legacy' cards properly, so installing newest version of driver is not an option (and I have tried that as well, which would be version 13.4).

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64
06-26-2014, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 10:13 AM by Bigpet.)
(06-26-2014 10:03 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  My point is that it can't just simply stop working for no apparent reason
My point is that it can. Because they're not guaranteed to work together every single change to anything that touches OpenGL can cause things to crash when you're using a broken driver setup.

So just install the newest version and tell us what's wrong with those
06-26-2014, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 12:57 PM by Nightquaker.)
(06-26-2014 10:09 AM)Bigpet Wrote:  
(06-26-2014 10:03 AM)Nightquaker Wrote:  My point is that it can't just simply stop working for no apparent reason
My point is that it can. Because they're not guaranteed to work together every single change to anything that touches OpenGL can cause things to crash when you're using a broken driver setup.

And that change would still be a reason for drivers not working, yes.
But I want to know what exactly it is, if it's possible, and see if there are any options for me to fix it. I'll also properly install version 11.11a for the purpose of testing, but frankly, this solution is really not that good for me.
And to be honest, every newer version of bloody drivers for 4k series or any 'legacy' cards is broken in one way or another.
But ranting aside, I'll still try to make logs to pinpoint an exact module that is a cause of crash, if it's possible.
________________________________________________________________________________​_______________________

Update:
Well, I installed the whole version 11.11a driver package and it still crashes!
I'll try the very latest dev build now and if that won't work, it's going to be a real fiddle. Also, everything is fine from my GPU's side, so it's not a hardware problem.

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Maybe put an newer open gl dll solve your problem... not Just old ones.
I have an Ati R9 280 and some open gl games i have to use different dlls to work.
06-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Make sure to disable Catalyst AI. It is known to crash PPSSPP and many other games.

-[Unknown]