Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emulator freezes but still works?
06-19-2014, 02:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 02:33 AM by ViRALiC.)
Question Emulator freezes but still works?
Right, that topic thread subject might have sounded a little strange. So let me go a little more into detail.

Firstly, I am using PPSSPP v0.98.

My computer, while not state-of-the-art, has ran PPSSPP in the past, and only ran into the problem after a formatting and a download of the newest version.

All my drivers are up to date, and I'm not using any cave-man OS. It's Windows 8.

So, to describe my issue:

When I start the emulator, the main screen is black. Just black, nothing on it. "Ok", I think, "so it's crashed, right?". Wrong. The options over the main screen are all clickable (File, Emulation, Debug, etc).

So I think, "Fine, let's just play a game!", and I hit File, Load, and navigate to my game. The second I hit "Load", however, the screen (now hiding behind my file browser window, looking for my game) comes alive, and the symbols rain cheerfully down the blue background.

Now thinking everything is dandy, I find my game and load it. The title of the window changes to "PPSSPP v0.9.8 - gamecodehere gamenamehere", but the screen has now frozen.

"Crashed? Fine." I think. But it turns out the emulator is still responsive. The controls work, and hell, even the music is playing.

Everything seems to be working except what's actually suppose to be happening on the screen.

What in Gods name could be wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: Emulator freezes but still works?
(06-19-2014 02:32 AM)ViRALiC Wrote:  Right, that topic thread subject might have sounded a little strange. So let me go a little more into detail.

Firstly, I am using PPSSPP v0.98.

My computer, while not state-of-the-art, has ran PPSSPP in the past, and only ran into the problem after a formatting and a download of the newest version.

All my drivers are up to date, and I'm not using any cave-man OS. It's Windows 8.

So, to describe my issue:

When I start the emulator, the main screen is black. Just black, nothing on it. "Ok", I think, "so it's crashed, right?". Wrong. The options over the main screen are all clickable (File, Emulation, Debug, etc).

So I think, "Fine, let's just play a game!", and I hit File, Load, and navigate to my game. The second I hit "Load", however, the screen (now hiding behind my file browser window, looking for my game) comes alive, and the symbols rain cheerfully down the blue background.

Now thinking everything is dandy, I find my game and load it. The title of the window changes to "PPSSPP v0.9.8 - gamecodehere gamenamehere", but the screen has now frozen.

"Crashed? Fine." I think. But it turns out the emulator is still responsive. The controls work, and hell, even the music is playing.

Everything seems to be working except what's actually suppose to be happening on the screen.

What in Gods name could be wrong?
Hi there, Under the graphics tab, which rendering mode are you using, if its on Non-Buffered Rendering, then that may well be your problem, click on that and change it to Buffered Rendering, then exit emulator so that setting gets saved, then re-start PPSSPP then re-try your games, should work a lot better, as a few games don't work under Non-Buffered Rendering.
Which game(s) are you testing???
What spec's are you using, as in CPU & Graphics card???

Also have you tried the latest Beta build which is at present: v0.9.8-1275-g413704f - which is found here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/index.php

Hope that helps my friend. Cool
06-19-2014, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 04:02 AM by ViRALiC.)
RE: Emulator freezes but still works?
(06-19-2014 02:53 AM)The Phoenix Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 02:32 AM)ViRALiC Wrote:  Snip!
Hi there, Under the graphics tab, which rendering mode are you using, if its on Non-Buffered Rendering, then that may well be your problem, click on that and change it to Buffered Rendering, then exit emulator so that setting gets saved, then re-start PPSSPP then re-try your games, should work a lot better, as a few games don't work under Non-Buffered Rendering.
Which game(s) are you testing???
What spec's are you using, as in CPU & Graphics card???

Also have you tried the latest Beta build which is at present:
LINK - which is found here: LINK

Hope that helps my friend. :cool:

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to assist me, friend.

Sadly, I must report that I tried all your suggestions (and a few others) to no avail.

I tried the newest version, the one you linked me, and 0.9.7 as well as 0.9.6 with the exact same result.

In terms of games, I am attempting to play Tactics Ogre, Daxter and Growlanser. The last one has been known to be a little problematic, but I thought the first two would be fine?

I played around with all four rendering options, restarting and resetting between attempts.

All lead nowhere.

Any further ideas?

Thanks again mate! :)