Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Help] PPSSPP Run smooth on Acer i3-hd4000, but struggle with desktop GTX660TI
05-29-2014, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 03:52 PM by ifourtos.)
[Help] PPSSPP Run smooth on Acer i3-hd4000, but struggle with desktop GTX660TI
I run on 3 different machine :

Acer Aspire v5-431G
i3 1.8K, HD4000, 8GB DDR3
Win 8.1 64Bit

Gaming Rig
i5-2400, 8GB DDR3, MSI-Z77MA, GTX660TI 2GB DDR5
Win 7, 64Bit

Old Gaming Rig
E7200, 4GB DDR2, Gigabyte P45-UD3R, AMD HD5670 1GB DDR5
Win 7, 64Bit
--------------
* All stock clock.
* Playing Resolution = 1920x1080 ( Acer Laptop connected to a FHD Asus 24 IPS )
Game Use, Tactic Orge : Let Us Cling Us Together.
* PPSSPP Gold 0.9.8

PPSSPP Setting : All default.
No Frame Skip, No VSYNC, Buffered to Memory.

Result :
Acer Lappy = Butterly Smooth. Unthorrtle Works like a Charm.
GTX660TI = max 50 fps, no more. After press unthorottle, it even more lag, sound cracked even released unthorottle button......
HD5670 = 52-54 fps max, Press Unthorottle, nothing happen. eventually look lagger afterwards.

I have purchase PPSSPP Gold. So far it get the job done very well.
I just could not imaging, why it cant work well on Overpowered Machine...

Unthorottle is very usefull.

** I found that very weird, the more i press unthorottle, the game become even lagger ( on GTX660ti.. )

I wanted to play on my desktop. My Lappy temparute goes high and its not intended to play game.

Thanks for any help given. I need it. thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 08:52 PM by LunaMoo.)
RE: [Help] PPSSPP Run smooth on Acer i3-hd4000, but struggle with desktop GTX660TI
If by "Buffered to Memory" you mean "Read framebuffers to memory" rendering mode, simply change it to buffered rendering and be happy with speed. That's default and at the same time best rendering mode to choose from which has all the extra features you can get out of ppsspp.

Read framebuffers to memory can be pretty heavy in some games, but at the same time it's not required at all by most of them. If you actually need if for something you can try "Simulate Block Transfer" feature in latest ppsspp which you can get from buildbot(or wait like 2 weeks for 0.9.9) which basically adds more common use of read framebuffers to memory fixing problems in a bunch of games, yet still keeping buffered rendering mode.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
05-29-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2014 09:35 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: [Help] PPSSPP Run smooth on Acer i3-hd4000, but struggle with desktop GTX660TI
@LunaMoo

Even then, the i5 desktop with the 660GTX should not be lagging under any circumstances. It should be able to brute force any rendering mode and any rendering resolution (up to 10x). This should not ever be happening if the user was using default settings.

@ifourtos

I suspect something else is occuring when you run PPSSPP on your desktop:-

1. Your 660GTXTi GPU isn't being upclocked to performance frequencies and is therefore not performing like it should in PPSSPP.

Verify that your GPU is being upclocked correctly (performance mode) when running PPSSPP by running GPUz (GPU monitoring tool) after loading PPSSPP.

2. Same thing goes for your CPU. Check it using CPUz (CPU monitoring tool) when running PPSSPP.

It would also help if you could post screenshots of those two programs running side by side when running PPSSPP.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
05-29-2014, 09:48 PM
(05-29-2014 09:34 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  @LunaMoo

Even then, the i5 desktop with the 660GTX should not be lagging under any circumstances. It should be able to brute force any rendering mode and any rendering resolution (up to 10x). This should not ever be happening if the user was using default settings.

@ifourtos

I suspect something else is occuring when you run PPSSPP on your desktop:-

1. Your 660GTXTi GPU isn't being upclocked to performance frequencies and is therefore not performing like it should in PPSSPP.

Verify that your GPU is being upclocked correctly (performance mode) when running PPSSPP by running (GPU monitoring tool)[/url] after loading PPSSPP.

2. Same thing goes for your CPU. Check it using when running PPSSPP.

It would also help if you could post screenshots of those two programs running side by side when running PPSSPP.

Thanks solarmystic,
I will give it a try on coming sunday. Currently out station.
And will record with Flaps and put it on Youtube. Screenshots of GPUz CPUz.
05-30-2014, 01:20 AM
@solarmystic I know, even the weaker of his pc's would be enough for that and mostly without even leaving power saving mode(at least my hd5670 gddr5 does that), that's how fast ppsspp is for majority of games. However I didn't tested Tactics Ogre at all on ppsspp yet. That was the only setting listed which could really affect the speed and I saw way too many weird things within emulation to assume it would not be possible, those oldschool sprite based games are often problematic since pc gpu drivers are optimized for completely different stuff.

If exactly same settings are used on that laptop and two pc's, it could even be a virus or some bitcoin miner stealing processing power, those things are spreading widely nowadays through all kind of weird sites like facebook, twitter or other warez stuff.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
05-31-2014, 01:09 AM
(05-30-2014 01:20 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  @solarmystic I know, even the weaker of his pc's would be enough for that and mostly without even leaving power saving mode(at least my hd5670 gddr5 does that), that's how fast ppsspp is for majority of games. However I didn't tested Tactics Ogre at all on ppsspp yet. That was the only setting listed which could really affect the speed and I saw way too many weird things within emulation to assume it would not be possible, those oldschool sprite based games are often problematic since pc gpu drivers are optimized for completely different stuff.

If exactly same settings are used on that laptop and two pc's, it could even be a virus or some bitcoin miner stealing processing power, those things are spreading widely nowadays through all kind of weird sites like facebook, twitter or other warez stuff.

@Lunamoo

Sorry lunamoo, without even checking, i know what you are telling is definately not true.

Reason :

pc gpu drivers are optimized for completely different stuff.
Laptop GPU is not a PC GPU? Work the Same, support direct X, Desktop OS etc. Just my Intel HD4000 can only perform at about 5-8% my GTX660TI can be. But when playing PPSSPP, it blowed my GTX660TI

If exactly same settings are used on that laptop and two pc's, it could even be a virus or some bitcoin miner stealing processing power
1st of all, I dont do any bitcoin mining, its not profitable for me, in my country. For your info, the very same GTX660ti in the PC can run Watch Dog in FHD, High Setting, 60FPS smooth. So the "virus" you mean is just attack PPSSPP? You have no idea what is a virus. Why do a virus need to slowdown a GPU? go google more about malware. in 99.99% cases, Malware/Virus have no Intention to slow down your PC. Or malfunctioning it. It simply wanna to gain control for further use or data stealing. A virus maker really have no interest to slow down your pc.

Anywhere, thanks for your suggestion.