Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Performance drop in v0.9.8xxxx
06-08-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Performance drop in v0.9.8xxxx
As I said in my post... As emulators get mor accurate it requires the use of better hardware to use them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2014, 05:34 PM
If you say so, then I don't have any other choice. I guess I'll have to edit it or just forget about multithreading as a whole. But it still baffles me as to why just one 1.6ghz Cortex A9 core should perform better than 4 of the same cores combined. I know the real PSP isn't multi or hyper threaded.
06-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I just tried out the PC version, and it's exactly the same story. It's much more worse than on my phone. So a 3rd Generation Core i3 Cpu and Intel HD4000 iGPU isn't capable of emulating PSP games fluently anymore?
06-08-2014, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2014 08:33 PM by MaXiMu.)
@BlazinEmperor Update drivers for better support.

Driver intel hd4000
06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Intel GPUs unfortunately don't seem to like OpenGL much, and PPSSPP uses OpenGL.

-[Unknown]
06-24-2014, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2014 11:33 AM by BlazinEmperor.)
And I noticed something odd of recent. I installed this app 'System Monitor' which has a floating window option and can overlay over another running app. I used it to monitor the performance of PPSSPP with Multithreading ON & OFF. Because I wasn't convinced with the fact that the emulator is getting accurate, so performance should drop. So, I noticed that with Multithreading OFF, all CPU cores were running between 1.1ghz - 1.6ghz, but one of the core was processing the most load, about 64%, while the 3 other cores had like 3 to 5% load on them, Gameplay was smooth, it didn't drop below 54fps on Soul Calibur. Then I turned on Multithreading & I noticed something strange, all Cpu cores dropped to 500mhz - 800mhz & sometimes come up to 1000mhz, which is odd. And they had similar amount of load on them, about 18% for each.

That wasn't a result of any form of thermal throttling or such, it is a bug that didn't exist in v0.9.8-553-g651b33f. What I am trying to say is, that there is something wrong with the way threads are being scheduled and executed in v0.9.8-558xxxxx till date. I don't know what it is. So, I will plead once more that this whole thing deserves to be checked out.

My SOC is an Exynos 4 Quad, and it was working perfectly with multithreading before now. If it has always being bad, then I wouldn't be complaining. But it was good, and now it's bad. Single threaded performance improved and multithreading dropped by over 50%. Frameskip can help, but I dislike it.